2011 Tahoe...Clear fluid leak behind passenger side front tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Glancing43

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can you clarify which side you are seeing the smoke/steam?
My fault. It’s the passenger side around the front passenger headlight. It’s hard to see the smoke during the day, but definitely smoke from front passenger side at night when you can see it.

I think it’s weird that smell enters the cabin of tahoe going up our steep driveway but not on any other smaller hill or incline.

After turning off, you can smell the burning smell anywhere, especially if you’re close to the grill.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It definitely sounds like coolant. This would have been something the oil change place would have touched. Check the cap on the reservoir.

OP
OP
G

Glancing43

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It definitely sounds like coolant. This would have been something the oil change place would have touched. Check the cap on the reservoir.

Cap was super tight, no leaks to be seen on the ground or in the engine looking down or up. The only other thing I haven’t mentioned is that it doesn’t start happening until it reaches the 210 temp mark. So like you said, coolant.

If it had a bad hose, it would be leaking and visible, right?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might depending on the size of the hole. A small hole will just spray coolant and when it hits something hot you see the steam. What was the result of opening the hood when you get home and turn it off?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pinhole leaks can be hard to find, next time you go somewhere and when you pull back in the driveway leave it running, pop the hood and get a flashlight and start looking around, if you have a wife or gf or kid have them rev it up while you are looking for the leak.

**also sometime those pinhole leaks only leak for a few moments right when the hot engine is turned off the pressure builds up from the heat. so if you cant see it with the engine running hot, then as soon as your helper shuts it off keep looking for a minute. I have had them piss straight out the side of the radiator hose just like it had been poked with a needle but it would only do it right after the engine was shut off.

OP
OP
G

Glancing43

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It might depending on the size of the hole. A small hole will just spray coolant and when it hits something hot you see the steam. What was the result of opening the hood when you get home and turn it off?
That’s what I was thinking but thought I’d see something from when it was parked. Didn’t think about pressure.

By the time I open the hood, the smoke is scattered if not gone.

OP
OP
G

Glancing43

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
pinhole leaks can be hard to find, next time you go somewhere and when you pull back in the driveway leave it running, pop the hood and get a flashlight and start looking around, if you have a wife or gf or kid have them rev it up while you are looking for the leak.

**also sometime those pinhole leaks only leak for a few moments right when the hot engine is turned off the pressure builds up from the heat. so if you cant see it with the engine running hot, then as soon as your helper shuts it off keep looking for a minute. I have had them piss straight out the side of the radiator hose just like it had been poked with a needle but it would only do it right after the engine was shut off.

Good idea. I’ll give that a shot tonight when it’s easier to see. The only mechanic I really trust is backed up 2 weeks due to illness, or I’d just take it to him.

Nothing like a good mystery, though. Right?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find the leak try fixing it. It’s an easy job with lots of YT videos. Might give you the confidence to try other repairs.

OP
OP
G

Glancing43

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another update. So driving on the interstate for 20 minutes = No smoke. Driving back home on top of that = Smoke.

I opened the hood with it running and there wasn’t smoke to be seen. Once I got back home, took the flashlight and quickly looked because there was a little smoke. Popped the hood, it was gone.

Question, what is this hose behind the passenger side front tire? Should it look like it’s leaking oil?

492044EC-F7F6-4BCB-BFFD-B899262F672B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts