2009 Tahoe Hybrid Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jz0717

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. Obviously, new here. Picked up an 09 Tahoe Hybrid 4wd about 2 weeks ago. Love this :boti: ride already! Came from an 05 Nissan Pathfinder LE.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi. :)

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you explain a little about how the hybrid works? So do you plug it in? When does it run on electric, and for how long? I've been thinking about one because I mainly take short trips in the city during the day, not much expressway driving, so I was wondering if it would run in gas mode during those trips.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a 2 mode hybrid which runs either on electric power, fuel power, or a combination of both. You do not plug it in, the 300V drive battery recharges under regenerative braking.

Electric only power can be used up to 30mph under soft acceleration otherwise it's a combo of both electric/gas depending on how much power is needed. It also uses an 'auto stop' mode which shuts off the engine when it's not needed at slow speeds, stopped at a light, or just parked.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait...you don't plug it in? So it just recharges the batteries during braking, and that's it? Seems weird..

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait...you don't plug it in? So it just recharges the batteries during braking, and that's it? Seems weird..

Why does it seem weird? Almost every hybrid on the road today operates in a similar fashion, that's in fact why it is called a hybrid drive. There are but a handful of plug in vehicles on the market at the present time.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I assumed they were all like the volt and plugged in to charge the battery.

OP
OP
J

jz0717

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In addition to the Hybrid mode, it has the fuel management that drops it to four cylinders as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts