2008 tahoe hybrid 218,000miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

traveus

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a tahoe hybrid with 218k on it, price is 10,000. should i buy it or pass. i did take it for a test drive and everything did seem to work. not really a expert with hybrids tho.

cruise_control

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
pay to have a pre purchase inspection and have a professional tell you. It's well worth it. It should run $50-$100.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome:

How long do those batteries last before swapping out? I've never seen a hybrid with that many miles to know how long they last...

OP
OP
traveus

traveus

Reaction score
Where do i have the inspection?
And ive seen a tahoe hybrid with 385k before and they were still asking 11,500 for it.
I just dont want to buy something that im going to have to put more money into it then i paid for it.
The car fax said it was a fleet vehicle is that bad?

cruise_control

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where do i have the inspection?
And ive seen a tahoe hybrid with 385k before and they were still asking 11,500 for it.
I just dont want to buy something that im going to have to put more money into it then i paid for it.
The car fax said it was a fleet vehicle is that bad?
General tip: when buying any used car purchase it 1 - 2k under your budget because it will need repairs.

Google auto shops near where you intend to purchase, read the online reviews to make sure you have a quality shop and call and tell them what you need and go with the shop that gives you warm and fuzzies.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has active fuel management, those lifters are known points of failure. Had one lifter go bad on my wife's 2009 Tahoe with 178k miles, cost $2500 to replace. Replaced all the lifters on the drivers side while they were in there. BUT a passengers side AFM lifter could still fail at any moment, another $2500. Bad motor mount too, quoted $800 but did it myself for parts ($90).

Point being that there are known points of failure on these Tahoes (engine mounts, AFM lifters, dash cracking, door handle paint peeling), so estimate the cost going in, be educated and ask the right questions, like what has been replaced already.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it due to my experience with my wife's Tahoe. Just my $.02.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was a fleet vehicle the service records should be available. Ask for them. Anything that cost 60k and you buy years later for 10 you will have to put money into. There is no way arround that.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to hit 149K on our '08 Tahoe Hybrid and it is still achieving 21+ mpg actual computed average, which agrees pretty closely with the computer. On all highway longer trips we have actually actually averaged 24+ mpg, so we are still pretty happy with it. Will have the coolant system flushed and the coolant replaced in August before the wife starts back to school for the fall semester of teaching highschool computer science. Have had absolutely no codes the last 50K miles or so, I think, so I am wondering how long the good operations will continue. The only thing I have noticed lately is that it does some "operational hunting" between full hybrid and full gasoline operation when running around town between 20 and 30 mph. On the road it is as smooth as glass operationally so maybe it just needs to get back to the daily commute my wife does during school. I have seen no codes on converters, O2 sensors or any other anything else so I am wondering if they will all hit me at once? Just knocked on wood so the "little people" will hear me and bring me continued good luck. I do wonder about the timing chain, gears etc., too. The fact may of you have 200,000 or more on the odo gives me hope mine will last that long, too.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to have a great deal to buy one. I recently bought an 09 Tahoe Hybrid with 198k (dirt cheap) and it is doing well so far. I would say if buying one of these it should NOT be your sole means of transportation. I think the system is to complicated to be truly reliable if older and higher mileage and if you cannot perform the maintenance/repairs yourself you will soon be financially regretting your purchase. I have had this one a little over a month now and I have driven it around 2000 miles so far. I have already done some minor repairs but I bought it so cheap that it is not a problem for me. The previous owners spent over 4000 dollars on it in the last 6 months. He did a 3.5" body lift / Mayhem 10x20 8106 hatchet wheels and Nitto grapplers tires plus they had the front end rebuilt with new ball joints etc. Kind of silly IMHO to lift a Hybrid but it does look cool LOL. I did clean the Hybrid battery and trimmed the weathertech floor liners that were blocking cooling airflow the other day. You guys need to look at the pic below and make sure yours is clean! if you have not cleaned yours you need to get on this right away!
IMG_6726.jpg
IMG_6712.jpg
09 Tahoe.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157