2008 GMC Yukon XL key programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pengtech89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, couldn't find a forum with this exact issue, so I messed up and lost my only key and fob for my 2008 GMC Yukon XL. The Dealership was surprisingly the cheapest option for a new key. I went and had them cut a key for me and I ordered new fobs on eBay. I went back to my vehicle and began the programming process (~10 key in ON, turn key off for 5 seconds, repeat 2 more times) everything seemed to go as it was supposed to (security light turned off each step) but the truck would not start. Tried a second time and the security light would no longer turn off. I was able to program the key fobs with no issues. I gave up at that point and trailered it to a dealership to have it looked at Friday 11/27, they called me later that day and said that they tried their methods and were unsuccessful in programming the key as well and they have an electrical tech working today 11/30 and he is going to look at it. Am I about to be royally screwed over by this dealership or is this a common issue with this process? couldn't find much info around having something this simple being this difficult. Don't see a way to delete this, tech got it programmed, only $65 for labor

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

When I needed an additional key and fob fob, I took my truck to a local locksmith, and got the additional key and fob, and the related programming, all for $72.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
08 is programmed thru the center dash console and control buttons. YouTube has surprisingly good examples.

I ordered my key and fob off Amazon and used generic stuff with no issues on our 08 Denali. The key and fob programming are two separate procedures.

If the dealer couldn’t program the key I’d suspect it was the new key itself and it was the type of key that did not have a chip inside the key head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to thread jack but do 07 denalis have chipped keys?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Nah, same subject. 07, 08 & 09 chassis have identical ICE and key add / programming features. They all have chipped keys back to previous generations.

In 2010 GM made primetime news for how easy they were to steal. The ez key clone features were removed, steering wheel locks were added and laminated glass was (re)introduced in the front door glass to reinforce the glass and slow down the break in process.

Ironically 02-06 GM had laminated glass in the front of the SUV doors but discontinued it to cut costs.

https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Laminated-Glass-Vehicle-List.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the generic keys are a problem- ask any F rd owner..... The Real ones are still only 7 bucks or so. And USA made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094