2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L v8 - planning to convert back to stock z55 / autoride all around - assistance/advice/input would be v appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi all!
as title states; ive got an 07 denali
PO was plagued with a failing auto ride suspension & a few of its more expensive components so they had it converted to the cheaper shocks - bypassed & deleted autoride - installed resistors… etc.
my compressor is bad, driver rear air shock needs replacing.
i am interesting in restoring the system to stock as ill be replacing these components anyway.

how do i go about removing the modules that bypass autoride? & is there anything i need to consider prior?
aka i won’t be replacing the compressor before the shock as i don’t want the compressor to burn out again due to the ripped bag.
is there an order to this that you’d suggest personally as best method to conserve the integrity of the parts still installed / the ones that will be replaced?
currently have a service suspension system message on DIC & c0660-06 code on my scan tool that’s regarding level control exhaust valve short or open
compressor doesn’t engage at startup/ ever … have tried to command the alc exhaust valve to “on” with tool but didn’t respond.
not sagging but also not at my preferred ride height. hoping to rectify this.

TIA!
ps sorry if there is a post covering this already.. I'm relatively new here& still figuring it out!!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @swathdiver stated, I made the conversion back to the stock Z55 suspension last year, and I'm enjoying a much improved ride quality. My thread for this project is listed below.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/converting-back-the-z55-air-ride-suspension.126751/

My first question is how far do you want go go with this conversion back to the Z55 suspension, and what is your budget? My truck had ~140,000 miles on it, so I wanted to replace as many suspension parts as possible, so that I could achieve an essentially new suspension. On the rear, I replaced shocks, springs, spring mounts, and the compressor. On the front, I replaced the upper and lower control arms (which includes all ball joints), the entire strut assembly (including springs and the top mounting plate, bump stops, etc.).

On the rear, I replaced everything myself. On the front, I had my local mechanic replace the control arms and struts, as he had the lift and spring compressor, and I did not. I subsequently did all of the electrical and pneumatic work to re-connect the the struts/shocks to the Electronic Suspension Control System.

First, assess what remains of the old Z55 suspension. Since they used resistors, I am assuming that the electrical wires to the 4 shocks/struts are still in place, and that is good. They probably cut off and threw away the electrical connectors that attach to the Z55 shocks/struts, but fortunately, I should have some extras for you.

Are the air lines to the rear shocks still in place around the area of the replacement shocks? If yes, then great.

Did they leave the 4 ride height sensors at each wheel? They probably did, but having those sensors still in place is critical.

Do you have a Tech 2 scan tool? If yes, that's good for this project.

I suggest that the best way to move forward is for you to PM me, and then we can get into the details of this project on that PM thread.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi all!
as title states; ive got an 07 denali
PO was plagued with a failing auto ride suspension & a few of its more expensive components so they had it converted to the cheaper shocks - bypassed & deleted autoride - installed resistors… etc.
my compressor is bad, driver rear air shock needs replacing.
i am interesting in restoring the system to stock as ill be replacing these components anyway.

how do i go about removing the modules that bypass autoride? & is there anything i need to consider prior?
aka i won’t be replacing the compressor before the shock as i don’t want the compressor to burn out again due to the ripped bag.
is there an order to this that you’d suggest personally as best method to conserve the integrity of the parts still installed / the ones that will be replaced?
currently have a service suspension system message on DIC & c0660-06 code on my scan tool that’s regarding level control exhaust valve short or open
compressor doesn’t engage at startup/ ever … have tried to command the alc exhaust valve to “on” with tool but didn’t respond.
not sagging but also not at my preferred ride height. hoping to rectify this.

TIA!
ps sorry if there is a post covering this already.. I'm relatively new here& still figuring it out!!
Are you going to move forward with this project?

YukonOwner06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As @swathdiver stated, I made the conversion back to the stock Z55 suspension last year, and I'm enjoying a much improved ride quality. My thread for this project is listed below.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/converting-back-the-z55-air-ride-suspension.126751/

My first question is how far do you want go go with this conversion back to the Z55 suspension, and what is your budget? My truck had ~140,000 miles on it, so I wanted to replace as many suspension parts as possible, so that I could achieve an essentially new suspension. On the rear, I replaced shocks, springs, spring mounts, and the compressor. On the front, I replaced the upper and lower control arms (which includes all ball joints), the entire strut assembly (including springs and the top mounting plate, bump stops, etc.).

On the rear, I replaced everything myself. On the front, I had my local mechanic replace the control arms and struts, as he had the lift and spring compressor, and I did not. I subsequently did all of the electrical and pneumatic work to re-connect the the struts/shocks to the Electronic Suspension Control System.

First, assess what remains of the old Z55 suspension. Since they used resistors, I am assuming that the electrical wires to the 4 shocks/struts are still in place, and that is good. They probably cut off and threw away the electrical connectors that attach to the Z55 shocks/struts, but fortunately, I should have some extras for you.

Are the air lines to the rear shocks still in place around the area of the replacement shocks? If yes, then great.

Did they leave the 4 ride height sensors at each wheel? They probably did, but having those sensors still in place is critical.

Do you have a Tech 2 scan tool? If yes, that's good for this project.

I suggest that the best way to move forward is for you to PM me, and then we can get into the details of this project on that PM thread.
What would you use the Tech 2 scan tool for? I have a 2006 SLT with autoride and I replaced my rear shocks as the originals were shot. Is there a reset or calibration that needs to be completed after installing new rear shocks?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would you use the Tech 2 scan tool for? I have a 2006 SLT with autoride and I replaced my rear shocks as the originals were shot. Is there a reset or calibration that needs to be completed after installing new rear shocks?
Yes, although not absolutely required, you should use the Tech 2 to reset the Automatic Level Control (ALC) function. Get to a known level spot, and the Tech 2 will do the ALC procedure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645