2007 Denali has been at the dealership now for a week and...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elsaddiq

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nothing!!! I know many of you have discussed having problems with this vehicle not starting randomly. Well, after refusing to start for me over a 4 day period, I had it towed to the local GM dealership. It shows no codes, check engine light is not on, nothing. As soon as they get it off the tow truck, it fires right up for them. It has fired up for them everyday that they've had it. They've checked the passlock, bcm, ignition, keys, battery cables, etc. They can't find any problems. This thing doesn't start for me at least once a month. They can't duplicate the problem. Anyone that's had this issue have any insight? Thanks.

LADenali

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe its the way you park, do you live on hills or where theres a steep angle? Maybe you are not getting fuel to the engine? Do you run your gas to the last drop? Just trying to think of possible problems.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Did they check the starter as well? Or may be the fuel pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter has a 2007 Suburban and it had that issue. I cleaned the battery terminals and the cables (which were terribly corroded) and noticed there was no way to tighten the cables onto the positive battery terminal. It appeared to be sprung or something and was too loose. I tried to tighten it up bun it would no tighten so I used die-electric jell to sort of make the connection. It started for a few weeks and then would not start sporadically, no cranking, no nothing when she turned on the key. She could jump it and all was well, though. I then bought her a Clor battery jumper from Amazon and she used it four times in one day. Her husband finally got a new battery for it and I asked him to get new cables from the parts house, not from GM. New cables, new battery = no problems now.

osr1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Exactly. If it doesn't crank then throw a starter at it. They can be extremely intermittent, especially 1 if it's original, 2 the fact that it starts after bouncing around on a tow truck. Also that wouldn't set any codes. Most of the time a crank, no start condition will set codes. (Most of the time). You can also try a few things such as starting it in neutral and that being said, make are your gear indicator is reporting properly during an event. If you get it back and it goes no start in your care we can walk you through a few things to check/test Keep us posted.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would not even "click". It acted just like the battery was missing. The gauges would not even register and the lights would not come on as they normally do.

OP
OP
E

elsaddiq

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In response to your responses (and thanks for those, by the way):
a) I'm typically parked on level ground.
b) The dealership also checked the fuel pump, starter, alternator, etc. I did end up replacing the evap canister in addition to the battery and cables.
c) The engine's non-start condition seems to alternate between the security non-start meaning engine won't do anything and the dead battery start meaning it turns and clicks.

Okay, here's the update.

After a week or so with the new battery and cables it did it again. I got stuck at the doctor's office yesterday. Turn the key...nothing. I put a portable battery charger on it, still nothing. So, the receptionist sees me out there and pops her head out and tells me to put it in neutral and roll it forward then try it. I do this and it starts immediately. She tells me that she had a Suburban with the same issue. They could find nothing wrong with her vehicle but if she charged it, shifted into neutral, and rolled it the truck started. She told me that this became her everyday process so she traded it for something firmly outside of the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban/Denali/Escalade family. This saddened me a bit, as this Denali is kinda my dream vehicle. I thanked her, bought her lunch, and limped off.

While trying to get this thing going, I called the dealership which was right up the street. They told me to bring it back as they now suspect some kind of "parasitic draw" (their words) causing a voltage drop. We'll see...

This is getting expensive.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
receptionist needs to work at dealer part time... Sounds like she knows more than the tech...

:yaoface2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seeker