2007 Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4 LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
2 E L O

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new project is a '96 Lexus LX450. It's just a Toyota Land Cruiser with some ugly plastic body cladding, a CD changer, and a bit softer of a suspension (I believe the coil springs are the same between LX450/Land Cruiser, but the shocks are softer). I'm going to replace all the springs with Old Man Emu zero lift springs and I'll also throw some Bilstein 4600s under it. The springs and even the shocks are original, so even this "zero" lift stuff will probably raise it 1-2".

The truck is originally from Arizona. It's been in Nebraska for a few years now but it's been extremely well taken care of. There isn't a single spec or bubble of rust on the body. The most recent owner has had it for about two years has done a TON of preventative/baseline maintenance.

The two known mechanical issues are that it's throwing a P0401 code, which is insufficient EGR flow. The PO cleaned the EGR but the code remained. The problem is most likely the vacuum modulator or the vacuum solenoid valve. Anyway, I'm just going to get all the replacement parts, pull off the upper intake manifold, clean the throttle body and all the ports, and replace the VM and the VSV, along with all of the vacuum lines and the fuel filter, just because it'll be sitting right there. It's about $200 worth of parts and about 4 hours of my time, not a big deal.

The rear main seal has a little leak, too...but that's just going to have to stay that way. I'd have to either pull the engine or drop the transmission to replace it, and I'm sure not doing that just for a slow little oil leak. It's purely a cosmetic issue at this point...

The PO has serviced the front axle and birfs (all new seals, bearings, grease and fluid). This is a MAJOR job on these things....very time consuming and messy...

He also did new PCV hoses and grommet, valve cover gasket, spark plug seals, O2 sensors (replaced with OEM...$$$), replaced tranny/transfer case/rear diff fluid, coolant flush, brake fluid flush, replaced PHH (pesky heater hose...a very short section of heater hose near the bottom rear of the block that is a total pain in the ass to replace), and rebuilt the parking brake components. NICE!!!

It's got some ugly ass aftermarket chrome wheels and some highway tread tires on there so I purchased some OEM Land Cruiser wheels and some 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs to go on it.

The body is white but the cladding is a goldish/bronze color. The white paint and sheetmetal is nearly perfect. The front of the hood has a couple small rock chips, but the rest of the body is fantastic. The cladding is a little scratched and chipped up...and it's ugly. It also needs a new front bumper...it's a little dinged up. So I'm going to sand it all down and spray some new dark silver/charcoal paint on the bumpers, fender flares, and body cladding. It should look pretty fantastic when it's done.

I'm also ripping off the ugly damn running boards....

I'll put pics up once I make a little progress...

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:Handshake:

QUOTE]

Yea this guess was pretty easy for me since I am a member of ih8mud and saw your add there. I have a 1974 fj40. Yea I will catch hell for this but I would have to say the land cruiser is one the best built suv's around (remember I do drive a 2007 tahoe so go easy on me). BUT damn the gas mileage with those things. The 4.5 straight 6 is going to get really bad mpg even compared to the tahoe. It was my first choice but I didnot have an extra 20 grand laying around for a newer one... so I ended up with the tahoe. Congrats you'll love it; it's a beast.

OP
OP
2 E L O

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea this guess was pretty easy for me since I am a member of ih8mud and saw your add there. I have a 1974 fj40. Yea I will catch hell for this but I would have to say the land cruiser is one the best built suv's around (remember I do drive a 2007 tahoe so go easy on me). BUT damn the gas mileage with those things. The 4.5 straight 6 is going to get really bad mpg even compared to the tahoe. It was my first choice but I didnot have an extra 20 grand laying around for a newer one... so I ended up with the tahoe. Congrats you'll love it; it's a beast.
Cheater! :Boo: Haha....

The LX got about 12mpg on the 1.5 hour drive home last night. That's about what I expected. It's not enough worse than the Tahoe that I'll probably notice it much... The Tahoe was 12-13mpg around town and 15-18mpg on the highway. The LX will probably be 12mpg in town and 12mpg on the highway. :D

Wakinvol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are the new pics gonna be??? I can't wait to see the progress

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon