2006 Yukon XL Denali front end issue? uneasy feeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Great. I have never seen 2 pitman arms on anything. The pitman arm is like the idler arm but it is designed to be mounted on the steering gear shaft and like @Rocket Man said, the idler arm is just another support spot for the other end of the center link to attach. Both inner tie rods attach at the center link and then the outer tie rods attach at the steering knuckles, just like in the pic supplied. The two steering knuckles attach at the top and bottom of the upper and lower control arms. There are no springs between the control arms but there are two torsion bars, one each side, that are twisted and supply the front spring action and the ride height. Both front wheels attach at the front bearing/hub assemblies that bolt to the steering knuckle and supply the wheel studs to bolt your wheels on with and the knuckles also have all the brakes mounted to them. Each control arm has bushings where they mount at the frame with. The power steering gear box is where the pitman arm attaches and is the source of the power steering along with the power steering pump that attaches to the gear box with hoses for all that fluid. You may even have a steering stabilizer that attaches at the center link and a crossmember and that is there to help absorb side shimmy from the steering while driving.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great. I have never seen 2 pitman arms on anything. The pitman arm is like the idler arm but it is designed to be mounted on the steering gear shaft and like @Rocket Man said, the idler arm is just another support spot for the other end of the center link to attach. Both inner tie rods attach at the center link and then the outer tie rods attach at the steering knuckles, just like in the pic supplied. The two steering knuckles attach at the top and bottom of the upper and lower control arms. There are no springs between the control arms but there are two torsion bars, one each side, that are twisted and supply the front spring action and the ride height. Both front wheels attach at the front bearing/hub assemblies that bolt to the steering knuckle and supply the wheel studs to bolt your wheels on with and the knuckles also have all the brakes mounted to them. Each control arm has bushings where they mount at the frame with. The power steering gear box is where the pitman arm attaches and is the source of the power steering along with the power steering pump that attaches to the gear box with hoses for all that fluid. You may even have a steering stabilizer that attaches at the center link and a crossmember and that is there to help absorb side shimmy from the steering while driving.
Yeah. We gathered that from rockets post. Thanks.

OP
OP
S

Stimpy911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So every mechanic has said the front end looks good. I have a little bit of play in the steering wheel and my service air ride light is on.

Could I have an issue with alignment or my front shocks to cause the vehicle to sway somewhat when driving?

Back air shocks just replaced.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So every mechanic has said the front end looks good. I have a little bit of play in the steering wheel and my service air ride light is on.

Could I have an issue with alignment or my front shocks to cause the vehicle to sway somewhat when driving?

Back air shocks just replaced.

Hmmm. Back air ride shocks just replaced but your service suspension light is on. So a couple questions. First, what brand rear shocks did you install ( I already asked this but never got an answer) and second does your air compressor come on for 20-30 seconds when you start your engine and lift the rear just a little bit and then turn off? If your rear shocks aren’t inflating or are cheap off-name brand it can definitely affect the front. There’s a reason for the suspension light, you need to figure it out before moving on. Did you ever figure out what kind of a rear “conversion kit” was installed?

OP
OP
S

Stimpy911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Back air ride shocks just replaced but your service suspension light is on. So a couple questions. First, what brand rear shocks did you install ( I already asked this but never got an answer) and second does your air compressor come on for 20-30 seconds when you start your engine and lift the rear just a little bit and then turn off? If your rear shocks aren’t inflating or are cheap off-name brand it can definitely affect the front. There’s a reason for the suspension light, you need to figure it out before moving on. Did you ever figure out what kind of a rear “conversion kit” was installed?
Sorry Rocket Man. I have been so busy at work that I have not had a chance to reply. My mechanic said the air shocks were shit in the back so he put new ones on. I will have to ask him what brand.

When I get done with work today I will put her in the garage and listen for the pump to see if it turns on.

I may have misunderstood the guy that said I had a conversion kit already installed. If I had one installed already then would the original mechanic have noticed and not have put air ride shocks on? What would I look for underneath to determine if there is a kit there?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Rocket Man. I have been so busy at work that I have not had a chance to reply. My mechanic said the air shocks were shit in the back so he put new ones on. I will have to ask him what brand.

When I get done with work today I will put her in the garage and listen for the pump to see if it turns on.

I may have misunderstood the guy that said I had a conversion kit already installed. If I had one installed already then would the original mechanic have noticed and not have put air ride shocks on? What would I look for underneath to determine if there is a kit there?

A conversion kit means the air bladder shocks and soft springs that go with them have been replaced with stiffer springs and normal shocks and usually the compressor has been removed, disabled or the air lines just not connected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk