2006 Tukon Denali - AC need replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick Dennis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My mom has a 2006 Yukon Denali and the AC doesn't work at all. This is true for both the Front and Back AC controls.

We stopped by a auto repair shop and they added refrigerant to the system. This did allow the AC to work for a bit but after a day or two the AC no longer blew out cold air. We live in South Carolina an to have my elderly mom in this heat with AC is a bit too much for her. I would like to repair this system myself vs. having a auto repair or dealership service center do the work. She is on a fixed income and does have the cash for a full service center to repair the AC unit for the $1200 - $1500 they are quoting her.

My main question is this: I know I should start with the AC Compressor but would it always be recommended just to replace the Condenser, Compressor, and accumulator only? Or are there other parts that I need to consider?

My fear is that if I replace just the Compressor I'll find that the problem is somewhere else in the system.

Any recommendation for me?

Thanks!

Nick

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If refrigerant makes the system work for a short period of time, it sounds like the compressor is good. The bad news is you have a substantial leak somewhere. Did the shop give any indication of where the leak is?

OP
OP
N

Nick Dennis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. If the leak is somewhere else then I fear this might be out of my skill set to fix myself. I don't recall what the repair shop told her about where the leak might be located.

I may have a different shop look at it and see if they can pin point the leak.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157