2005 Yukon fill up issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigMike636

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up on a used 2005 GMC Yukon for my wife with a 5.3. I noticed that when filling it up with fuel, the pump shuts off abruptly and gas appears to overflow at the filler neck. The tank does fill with fuel, but the pump always seems to slam off and there is a small overflow of fuel. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this ?

OP
OP
B

BigMike636

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Ted, but why do you think that it's related to the solenoid valve ? I'm not having difficulty filling the tank(at least for now). It's just that after the tank finishes filling, there is a spray of gas which occurs. I was thinking that maybe it was due to a plugged vent, but I figured that it was a much more simple design.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to apologize, I misread your post and thought you were having the typical problem of not being able to fill the tank.

Does it happen at different gas stations or do you always fill up a the same one? I doubt it but maybe there`s a problem with the gas pump shut off system.

When i had to change out my solenoid it went from working properly to not venting the next time i went to fill up but maybe it`s possible that yours is stuck partially closed and isn`t venting as well as it`s supposed to resulting in the spray at the end of filling up.

If i remember correctly a new valve is around 20-30 dollars and is pretty simple to install so maybe it`s worth a shot replacing it.

OP
OP
B

BigMike636

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately it does appear to happen at any gas station we stop at. Maybe I will just try and replace it this weekend. It's supposed to be in the 60's on Saturday. I guess it couldn't hurt to try. Thanks again.

RdHawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If your unfortunate enough to be stuck in CA the Donkey D... on the pump handle messes with the way the nozzle goes in and causes filling issues - it frequently prematurely shuts off. When we did our cross country trip to MI we had very few problems filling after leaving this state - and we got LOTS of practice:).....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman