2005 Yukon Bose stereo no volume

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcecarbldr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2005 Yukon with a 5.3 and only 177,700 miles. It has the Bose system and the stereo was completely stock. The volume all the way up is barely loud. My cell phone speaker plays louder. I thought maybe the amp was bad so I bought a used but tested one from an Ebay seller with good feedback. Same part number. I Installed it and no difference.
So yesterday I just installed a new touchscreen head unit with the correct Metra adapter kit and now if I turn the volume all the way up it's worse than the OEM head unit. Fader, Balance all work properly but nothing but crackly sounding music that I can barely hear. Someone said all my speakers are toast but I find it hard to believe they could all be bad? The subwoofer doesn't even make a sound. I owned a 2000 GMC Sierra Ex-Cab I gifted to my son a few years ago and it's rear speakers are still stock and sound just fine. Thoughts?

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's common for water to get in from the windows seals and fallow the speaker wire to the connection on the speaker. Check YouTube to see how to remove a door panel.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Besides the speaker "surround" rotting out and being non-existent, the amplifiers do tend to die. They can be found under storage area in the console, but they're not exactly easy to fully remove and replace.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see that you replaced the amp already. Might want to check power to the amp if you haven't already, and pop a door panel to check out the speakers.

I assume that you checked power on the Radio Amp fuse, too...

gmc-yukon-fuse-box-engine-compartment-2003.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rcecarbldr

rcecarbldr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I discovered the problem. There are two identical plugs behind the stereo. Both are female but one is white and one blue/green. The white one was plugged into the OEM radio and then into my new head unit thru the Metra adapter. Well I discovered another plug hidden behind a duct that was white and male. The two white plugs are meant to plug together and the bluish plug goes into the head unit and now my stereo thunders. I did discover though the two rear door speakers don't work. The front door, A pillar and rear pillar speakers do so I'll have to investigate that further.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I discovered the problem. There are two identical plugs behind the stereo. Both are female but one is white and one blue/green. The white one was plugged into the OEM radio and then into my new head unit thru the Metra adapter. Well I discovered another plug hidden behind a duct that was white and male. The two white plugs are meant to plug together and the bluish plug goes into the head unit and now my stereo thunders. I did discover though the two rear door speakers don't work. The front door, A pillar and rear pillar speakers do so I'll have to investigate that further.
Thank you for posting the solution to your issue. Our collective knowledge base has been increased.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the connection to the rear audio controls. In fact, if the rear controls are turned on, it shuts power to the rear speakers. Also there is a plug behind the panel that goes behing the parking brake pedal. It has the connections to the rear speakers also.

02LT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey There!
So we have an '02 tahoe and we also cannot get the rear door speakers to work also. Installed a Pioneer head unit and our truck has the non-bose UQ3 enhanced audio w/7 speakers and the amp behind the glove box. No rear audio controls, non-center console truck. How did you get your rear speakers to work? I confirmed that the amp fuse is good under the hood.

Tuco8ntJoKen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2005 Yukon with a 5.3 and only 177,700 miles. It has the Bose system and the stereo was completely stock. The volume all the way up is barely loud. My cell phone speaker plays louder. I thought maybe the amp was bad so I bought a used but tested one from an Ebay seller with good feedback. Same part number. I Installed it and no difference.
So yesterday I just installed a new touchscreen head unit with the correct Metra adapter kit and now if I turn the volume all the way up it's worse than the OEM head unit. Fader, Balance all work properly but nothing but crackly sounding music that I can barely hear. Someone said all my speakers are toast but I find it hard to believe they could all be bad? The subwoofer doesn't even make a sound. I owned a 2000 GMC Sierra Ex-Cab I gifted to my son a few years ago and it's rear speakers are still stock and sound just fine. Thoughts?
I was dealing with the same issue poppin my cherry into the car audio world! Everything worked, Bluetooth, Disk played, (made sure MUTE was off! ) except I was getting absolutely no audio from my Kenwood head unit. But check this out, I was getting audio from my stock Bose head unit BEFORE attempting to install the Kenwood double din unit and AFTER removing the Kenwood head unit
I was also using the correct METRA wire harness! Metra LD GM11 REV.B...

I'd like to mention that my Kenwood ddx375bt double DIN head units OEM wire harness did not come with solid blue amp/antt turn on wire. Just a light blue with white stripe and light blue with yellow stripe and that's where it got confusing because my Metra harness also didn't have a solid blue wire! But had (2) light blue with white stripe wires and (1) light blue with pink stripe... what am I supposed to do here? Besides the obvious matching up wire color with wire color

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons

Latest posts