2005 Tahoe Z71 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

There's an '05 Tahoe 4x4 with the Z71 package near me. White in color, one owner, 200k miles. Fully loaded including third row seating and quad buckets. The engine was replaced approximately 60k miles ago with receipts. The transmission is original. Other maintenance receipts are available.

The vehicle seems to be very clean both inside and out. Asking price is $5500.

I am in need of an SUV that can transport a small family and a dog regularly to the coast (45mins one way) and three hours through mountain highways to a cabin. It will not be driven every day but will be used for some errands and other trips. Probably 6-8k miles per year.

With such high mileage, should I be worried about the transmission giving out? Are there other glaring issues from that model year I should be wary of? Any info and guidance would be appreciated.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hi all,

There's an '05 Tahoe 4x4 with the Z71 package near me. White in color, one owner, 200k miles. Fully loaded including third row seating and quad buckets. The engine was replaced approximately 60k miles ago with receipts. The transmission is original. Other maintenance receipts are available.

I am in need of an SUV that can transport a small family and a dog regularly to the coast (45mins one way) and three hours through mountain highways to a cabin. It will not be driven every day but will be used for some errands and other trips. Probably 6-8k miles per year.

With such high mileage, should I be worried about the transmission giving out? Are there other glaring issues from that model year I should be wary of? Any info and guidance would be appreciated.
I'd def be worried about the trans, especially with the new motor in front of it. Our trucks aren't know for long life transmissions. I'd talk him down, and budget for a new trans, probably sooner then later. Sounds like a nuce Hoe. Good luck.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty penny for 200k my Tahoe I just sold in January had 250k and I sold it for 2500

Walkercraig01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a high price but if the engine is new I mean its kinda understanble , transmission is a worry if your driving mountain highways of course. drive it ad see what you think.they are great vehicles.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I'm with Tony. Just plan to put a new trans in it and use it as a big bargaining chip. I would bet nobody is chomping at the bit to drop 5500 on a 200k, 13 year old truck. That said, a single owner, well maintained 05 or 06 is one of the best you can get, no question.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like everyone has said, transmission is the main concern here, mine went at 180k broken sun shell, mine was abused. My family has owned several of these trucks and they tend to go between 200k to 250k for the most part, my uncle has been lucky and his has lasted 280k miles so far, especially if it has been driven spirited. So try to talk him down a bit. I paid 6k for mine back in 2010. 04 z71 picture in my avatar was how it looked before, its looking much better after I fixed most of what was wrong with it and replaced bumper/panels that were damaged with a full detail.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought my 2005 Z71 loaded new from the dealer. It has 160k miles and I’ve had no engine or tranny issues though the tranny does concern me with this many miles. It’s been a great truck with no significant problems and still runs and rides great. I plan on driving it as long as I can.

I agree with the other posters. The new engine adds to the value. The mileage on the tranny is a negative. If you buy it, change all the fluids and examine the color and smell of the tranny fluid. It might go a long way before needing service. The fact that they had to replace the engine makes me wonder if it may have been needed due to lack of maintenance, abuse, trailering or heavy duty use, any of which could also affect the tranny.

Butch Patrick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my 2005 Z71 loaded new from the dealer. It has 160k miles and I’ve had no engine or tranny issues though the tranny does concern me with this many miles. It’s been a great truck with no significant problems and still runs and rides great. I plan on driving it as long as I can.

I agree with the other posters. The new engine adds to the value. The mileage on the tranny is a negative. If you buy it, change all the fluids and examine the color and smell of the tranny fluid. It might go a long way before needing service. The fact that they had to replace the engine makes me wonder if it may have been needed due to lack of maintenance, abuse, trailering or heavy duty use, any of which could also affect the tranny.
Hi all,

I also bought my '05 Z71 Tahoe new. Now have 191,000 miles on it. It has every factory option available in 05 and everything still works. The only money I have spent was to replace the water pump in Jan of this year. My family keeps trying to get me to buy something new, but I have resisted. I realize that I am living on borrowed time and sooner or later I will be forced to drop some major bucks on this 05. Until then, I will keep on "trucking" in my old Z71, enjoying the extra 45-60 thousand in the bank instead of something new I drive to get me to where I am going.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also bought my '05 Z71 Tahoe new. Now have 191,000 miles on it. It has every factory option available in 05 and everything still works. The only money I have spent was to replace the water pump in Jan of this year. My family keeps trying to get me to buy something new, but I have resisted. I realize that I am living on borrowed time and sooner or later I will be forced to drop some major bucks on this 05. Until then, I will keep on "trucking" in my old Z71, enjoying the extra 45-60 thousand in the bank instead of something new I drive to get me to where I am going.
I’m with you, Butch. Wife keeps after me to replace my ‘hoe. I can pay for a lot of repairs for what I’m saving from not buying a new one. Fortunately, I’ve spent next to nothing on it except for spark plugs, rear brake pads and shocks, which are all normal wear items. A guy at work keeps asking me to sell it to him. No dice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep