2005 Tahoe Bleeding brakes question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Old Goat

Old Goat

Reaction score
FINALLY got this brake job done!

Four days in the shop!

Both rear bleeder screws were rusting shut. No rubber caps were on them, full of rust.
Worst part was the two rubber lines at the center of the rear axle took most of one day.
Had to work in a two inch tall space above frame cross member and floor stiffener channel to get bracket loose to re-engineer bracket mounting holes because the two hoses are not made as they were originally. You can only get two left side one, not right side one.View attachment 265112

OP
OP
Old Goat

Old Goat

Reaction score
Sorry about double post, cannot figure out how to delete it!

OP
OP
Old Goat

Old Goat

Reaction score
The procedure I used was to evacuate the old master of DOT 3, fill it with denatured alcohol, pressure bled that through all four wheels, then break the whole system down as much as possible and blow out all lines.

Rebuilt all calipers, place new master, fill with DOT 5 silicone, pressure bled all four wheels, do ABS bleed of ABS controller multiple times.

Brakes are fantastic!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Typically silicone fluid is used for motorcycles and other rigs that sit for long periods of times and in vehicles brake systems so as to withstand higher heat because of its higher boiling point and is not as hygroscopic as Dot 3 and therefore absorbs less moisture.

OP
OP
Old Goat

Old Goat

Reaction score
Yes, I am well aware of that.

That is why I use it and why my GTO still stops on a dime with Hydroboost assist.

DSCN7245.JPG

Works like brand new every time!

Took the whole car apart twelve years ago and the brake components didn't even need changing after 28 years.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is a very good reason and I agree with you. I have Dot 3 in my rig now but have had Dot 5 other times in rigs I owned and especially if I towed heavy loads with my Duramax.

Blackmar401

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gotchya. If it were me, then I’d use the Innova 5510 or equivalent to do the ABS bleed. Wouldn’t want to have mixed brake fluids.
Can you elaborate on the mixed brake fluids? Are you referring to topping it off with a different kind or draining the whole system and not getting it all out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo