2005 suburban 5.3 surging on highway under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
started a few days ago while going on the highway once I give it gas to go faster it feels like it's missing or surging but no codes or any check engine light. So not sure where to start. But while cruising it's going fine especially going normal speed. I've done some research and it sounds like a fuel to air ratio. So any suggestions would help. The truck have about 225 k on it everything is clean. It shifts fine. So hopefully someone can help me find out what's wrong before I start wasting money.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some Mass Air Flow cleaner and spray it down. Make sure it is totally dry before reinstallation. Big module right next to air filter box, band clamps on each side. Looks like a crazy honeycomb.

Intake manifold gaskets might be something to look at to check for leaks.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Get some Mass Air Flow cleaner and spray it down. Make sure it is totally dry before reinstallation. Big module right next to air filter box, band clamps on each side. Looks like a crazy honeycomb.

Intake manifold gaskets might be something to look at to check for leaks.

Does the intake manifold gasket on this engine cause coolant loss and or smoke at cold startup?

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the intake manifold gasket on this engine cause coolant loss and or smoke at cold startup?

Yikes, that sounds like the classic Castech cracked head issue.

You have to remove the valve cover and look for coolant or a crack on the head.

Could be head gaskets if you have overheated before.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get some blue devil, takes 2 bottles for the v8's, worked for me, little pricey those 2 bottles will run you about $65

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Yikes, that sounds like the classic Castech cracked head issue.

You have to remove the valve cover and look for coolant or a crack on the head.

Could be head gaskets if you have overheated before.
No overheating or coolant loss I'm only curious about what I can look at but coolant levels are good and only burns about 1qt oil between oil changes. But still thinking about running Blue devil in it since I have a rear main seal leak and honestly the smoke happened only once while it's 54 degrees outside

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
get some blue devil, takes 2 bottles for the v8's, worked for me, little pricey those 2 bottles will run you about $65
Would it work for oil pan and rear main seal and should I get the rear main seal one of the stop leak ? I'm not losing coolant

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it work for oil pan and rear main seal and should I get the rear main seal one of the stop leak ? I'm not losing coolant
oh, no you mentioned coolant loss and smoke, I only used it myself for a mysterious internal coolant leak, I wouldn't put anything in for oil leaks just get them fixed when you can adding a little oil as needed isn't very costly.