2004 Tahoe..Missing after using Seafoam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJake5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry if this has been mentioned but I’m new to this. I have a 2004 Tahoe 5.3 Vortec with 270,*** miles. I had a lifter tick and decided to do the Seafoam treatment. I did 1/3 of the bottle through the vacuum line and the rest in the fuel tank. After doing this my truck started missing really bad and my transmission wouldn’t shift under load and the service engine light would flash. Also my battery became very weak. I noticed I had a broken plug wire so I put all new plugs and wires on it. Didn’t solve the problem. Next I took out all the fuel injectors and made sure they would open and cleaned them and still didn’t help any. I had my catalytic converters cut off because they were failing which is probably because of the misfire. That solved my truck not shifting under load but still missing really bad. I replaced the fuel filter and that didn’t help the miss either. It’s throwing a P0300 code but I’m at a standstill. Has anyone else had this problem after using Seafoam?
Did anything fix the problem?

thanks

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you did seafoam straight into the engine and then threw some more seafoam into the engine threw the tank? did you do all this all at once or one after another. to directly answer your question no i haven't and seafoam is one of my favorite products. im well aware of the catalytic converter cause and effect tho but thats just expected if you already have weak cats.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry if this has been mentioned but I’m new to this. I have a 2004 Tahoe 5.3 Vortec with 270,*** miles. I had a lifter tick and decided to do the Seafoam treatment. I did 1/3 of the bottle through the vacuum line and the rest in the fuel tank. After doing this my truck started missing really bad and my transmission wouldn’t shift under load and the service engine light would flash. Also my battery became very weak. I noticed I had a broken plug wire so I put all new plugs and wires on it. Didn’t solve the problem. Next I took out all the fuel injectors and made sure they would open and cleaned them and still didn’t help any. I had my catalytic converters cut off because they were failing which is probably because of the misfire. That solved my truck not shifting under load but still missing really bad. I replaced the fuel filter and that didn’t help the miss either. It’s throwing a P0300 code but I’m at a standstill. Has anyone else had this problem after using Seafoam?
Did anything fix the problem?

thanks
Welcome to the forum Jake.

Hopefully we can get you some help and guidance. Personally, I have used Seafoam a number of times with no problems at all, but I introduce it through the intake of throttle body not the vacuum line.

When you say after you used the Seafoam, how soon after are we talking? Did it start within 5-10 minutes, a day or two later or a week or more later?

How long have you been fighting this?

You said the battery became very weak. Did you ever get it tested or replaced? I see no way the use of Seafoam could cause a weak battery so that may be a coincidence.

What other codes did you get or is P0300 the only code you saw? You didn’t get any others related to your Cats failing?

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! I've used a bottle of Seafoam (1/3 in the oil, 1/3 in a vacuum line, and 1/3 in the gas) before an oil change for years with no problems on all my vehicles. It's important to do a nice 10 minute "spirited" drive after you let it sit for a few minutes after sucking it in the vacuum line. It could have some carbon buildup causing the missing problem if you didn't. The the other problems shouldn't be attributed to Seafoam, but I have heard of a few others saying Seafoam fouled their plugs. I've never had this happen myself though.

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a lifter tick, it could be one of the lifters failing. I know this as the lifter in #2 cylinder bearing failed and created a flat spot on the lifter roller and cam.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have a lifter tick, it could be one of the lifters failing. I know this as the lifter in #2 cylinder bearing failed and created a flat spot on the lifter roller and cam.

Which could also be the source of the misfire code.

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which could also be the source of the misfire code.

Yes that is what my own experience was. If it is the lifter, you might get lucky and catch it before it puts a flat spot on your cam. If the cam is not damaged, it would require removing the intake, heads, lifters and plastic lifter trays. Shop time labor cost from my ntb was 12 hours labor to replace all 16 lifters. An additional 9 hours if the cam was damaged.
A lot of the Oem parts can be purchased from Gm Dealers that sell online, like Scoggins Dickey Parts.
If the lifter is bad dumping seafoam is not going to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf

Latest posts