2004 Tahoe 5.3 1000rpm idle and harsh 1st to 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
def start with a tb cleaning and check for vac leaks. vac leaks can cause a hard shift as well as a dirty maf sensor. you can clean it, only use maf cleaner tho.

you can clean the tb on the truck still, but all the carbon build up is on the back side that you cant see from looking it, so its best to remove it and clean it real good.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
def start with a tb cleaning and check for vac leaks. vac leaks can cause a hard shift as well as a dirty maf sensor. you can clean it, only use maf cleaner tho.

you can clean the tb on the truck still, but all the carbon build up is on the back side that you cant see from looking it, so its best to remove it and clean it real good.

I say to remove the intake manifold and clean EVERYTHING. The gunk in the TB is one thing, but all that oil and crud inside the manifold needs to come out, too. I used a few cans of Super Tech brake cleaner and cheapest bottle brushes Walmart had in the baby supplies section to clean the runners and insides of my brother's intake manifold when de-sludging his engine. Installation of a catch can is highly recommended to slow down the sludge from building up again.

OP
OP
C

Clarko88

Reaction score
I removed the throttle body and cleaned it and unplugged batterie and no change... I have yet to clean maf sensor

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you may have to shotgun it and replace maf, tb, intake gasket and while your in there do the knock sensors (go oem on the sensors & harness and silicone them in) fel-pro makes a metalized intake gasket. Sometimes that's just what it takes and if your feeling froggy do the plugs/wires and maybe coil packs also then your good for long while.

OP
OP
C

Clarko88

Reaction score
you may have to shotgun it and replace maf, tb, intake gasket and while your in there do the knock sensors (go oem on the sensors & harness and silicone them in) fel-pro makes a metalized intake gasket. Sometimes that's just what it takes and if your feeling froggy do the plugs/wires and maybe coil packs also then your good for long while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE