2004 suburban vibration at 65mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John57g

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum.

I have a 2004 Chevy suburban 2wd that has developed a really bad vibration at 65mph literally all the way up to 60 no vibration and past 74mph vibration stops

I have had almost the entire front end replaced (from the hubs to the steering link) I have also had the suspension replaced as well and there is still a vibration

The driveshaft is aluminum and I did replace the rear u-joint and the vibration did dissipate a little. I want to a axle shop and they said aluminum axles can't be balanced and sent me on my way so I'm not really even sure it's it's the axel.

Any ideas where else the vibration may be coming from? Or if you think the axel is bad?

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be a bent wheel or a tire out of balance. Have you tried rotating the tires?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
New to the forum.

I have a 2004 Chevy suburban 2wd that has developed a really bad vibration at 65mph literally all the way up to 60 no vibration and past 74mph vibration stops

I have had almost the entire front end replaced (from the hubs to the steering link) I have also had the suspension replaced as well and there is still a vibration

The driveshaft is aluminum and I did replace the rear u-joint and the vibration did dissipate a little. I want to a axle shop and they said aluminum axles can't be balanced and sent me on my way so I'm not really even sure it's it's the axel.

Any ideas where else the vibration may be coming from? Or if you think the axel is bad?
Welcome to the forum from Iowa, Dalton.

A couple questions:

1) Did you have any work done on the vehicle prior to this vibration developing?
2) How many miles are on your tires?
3) What size rims/tires do you have?
4) Did you have your vehicle aligned before and after all the suspension work?
5) Are you feeling the vibration in the steering wheel or in your seat?
6) Are you seeing any odd wear patterns on your tires?

Like Danny said, a quick check, if you haven’t done it already, would be to swap your two rear wheels with your front wheels and see if the problem appears to move. If it does, I’d look pretty close at your rims/tires.

3Dog

Reaction score
^^ Good advice. When I have had your exact issues of other vehicles (i.e. a vibration that appears only at certain highway speeds) it has always been a tire or two out of balance.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Good advice given in the above posts. Please follow the suggestions and report back to us on the results.

400K_or_bust

Reaction score
+1 to what others have said already. I bought my current Yukon last January with a set off 22"'s on it that I hated...Bought a set of 20"'s with existing tires and then my current set of 20"'s also with existing tires. Through all 3 sets of wheels I always had a high speed wobble and couldn't put my finger on it. 2 weeks ago I put a new set of Grabber UHP tires on and after a few trips back for minor adjustments my Yukon has never handled as well at any speed but especially above 65ish.....

TLDR: get your tires balanced.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d also check the run-out in the rotors as well. Maybe even a tire that is slightly out of round. My neighbor had to have a TPS replaced and the shop just marked where the tire was mounted to the rim so they wouldn’t have to rebalance. Turned out the new TPS was slightly heavier than the original and the slight weight difference made it vibrate at higher speeds

M123

Viking
Reaction score
I would look on the support for the gearbox, the rubber could be cracked and so on, even feel if you have any play on the outgoing shaft
(bushing) from the gearbox. :)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. My money is on the tires/wheels. I had a bent wheel once, years ago, and the vibes only showed at highway speed. I put on a balancer at my shop and could see the runout was bad/bent wheel. I was surprised that the vibe did not show till hiway speed.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork