2004 GMC Yukon Denali AWD needs rears shocks but I want to lower but need some info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qthor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a 04 Denali that I've had for a few years and always wanted to lower. The rear air shocks I don't want. Pump burned out not long after being replaced probably as I have not heard it cycle on for quite a while. But Ive looked at the forum numerous times whenever I wanted a question answered but don't know where to start for the drop. I've looked at the drop thread with pics and I like a 4/6 drop from what I've seen. But there is so much different information. I would plan to do it myself as I do enjoy working on my own vehicles and don't send them to the shop unless it's a big job that I don't have the means or ability to do. Besides shocks, spindles, rear springs, torsion bar keys... What else do I need? I expect an alignment to be needed after but what about pinion angle and etc? What else will change or needs to be addressed/ modified because of the drop? I was thinking about just doing the rear shocks because that's necessary for now but I want to lower this truck and because I have to do wheel bearings up front I was thinking why not do drop spindles and lower the truck all at the same time. Any information will be appreciated. Want to tackle this job asap because driving with the shocks like this is driving me crazy.

Attachments

• 1796632E-08EB-4D58-93F9-46E646E483B9_1_201_a.jpeg
    1796632E-08EB-4D58-93F9-46E646E483B9_1_201_a.jpeg
    560.3 KB · Views: 6

antross72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 GMC Yukon Denali XL as well. I went with the 2"F 3"R option because i still wanted to be able to tow a trailer. I plan on switching to coilovers for the front. I have the McGauphys 2/4 lowering kit with shock extenders. I purchased different springs. The DJM offset swaybar endlinks dont fit so dont buy them. There are better lowering kits out there besides Mcgauphys. Prefer to use the stock shock setup and compressor. I bought it on ebay. I made adjustable ride height rods for the back.