2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interestingly enough I have yet to replace that 30amp #2 Stud fuse that supposedly controls the trailer wiring. Yet my trailer lights work fine, so maybe idk what it controls.

That #2 stud is for the trailer brakes. You have separate fuses in the underhood fusebox for the lights.

Stud #1 is for auxiliary power (12v) to the trailer. Neither have anything to do with lights. I hope you're 'enlightened' now... ;)

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That #2 stud is for the trailer brakes. You have separate fuses in the underhood fusebox for the lights.

Stud #1 is for auxiliary power (12v) to the trailer. Neither have anything to do with lights. I hope you're 'enlightened' now... ;)

I’m much smarter now! I wonder why that fuse burns out if I don’t have a trailer brake.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The four wires for the aftermarket trailer brake controller are all pre-wired and the pigtail/harness is up under the driver's side dash. You could look for the wire bundle around the left side of the steering column behind the knee bolster and see if something's attached or it's shorted. Two of the wires are fairly heavy: the red one is the feed from the fusebox stud and the blue one goes back to the trailer connector (7-blade). Check that red one. I don't recall what colors the other two are, but they're smaller wires.

Both the trailer aux power and the brake controller circuits are live full time - provided the fuses are good and in place!

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The four wires for the aftermarket trailer brake controller are all pre-wired and the pigtail/harness is up under the driver's side dash. You could look for the wire bundle around the left side of the steering column behind the knee bolster and see if something's attached or it's shorted. Two of the wires are fairly heavy: the red one is the feed from the fusebox stud and the blue one goes back to the trailer connector (7-blade). Check that red one. I don't recall what colors the other two are, but they're smaller wires.

Both the trailer aux power and the brake controller circuits are live full time - provided the fuses are good and in place!

I will have to keep this in mind because I have long considered getting a trailer brake controller and adding brakes to my big trailer, or upgrading to something beefier in the future. The limiting feature for this truck to tow more is 1000% the brakes. Even with the multiple brake upgrades there’s never enough stopping power with trailers.

you passed your bad ac luck onto me.

No pass backs!

What happened now?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mostly my fault.

Also this was rushed because subaru decided to be cunty. Every light on dash, eyesight off, lane assist off, collision avoidance off, no abs, parking brake light on, and ******* power steering went out. I drove it about 40miles to get home yesterday cause **** that pos. Getting towed to shop this morning.

And cadillac is at cadillac for tranny shit. Would have been fine to drive but i assumedy subaru wouldnt shit the bed this week.

So the only reliable vehicle I have is the yukon.

Ordered wrong drier for chiller, looks exactly the same, threads are the same, but the fittings don't go into the shit.
Ran around about 5 auto parts stores they can't look shit up without a vehicle, the part number on the drier is from Australia can't cross reference the shit. It was either leave it out or reuse it...I vacd shit down for an hour and reused it. Still seems kinda ****** up. Ordered like 3 diff ones that should work.

The drier for the cab, Ordered new, worked fine, but it's for an r12 system so I have to put a r134 port adapter on it. Didnt remember to remove the shrader valve before putting the adapter on. Tried to put the adapter back off and the aluminum is so soft that it just ****** the threads up, ruined port, ruined adapter for the low side. After cussing it for a while, I really didn't want to reuse both driers but the cabin one had a second port. So I pulled the Schrader out of it, all I had was a highside (larger) adapter at this point so I put it on, vacuumed down using the highside hose on the low side with the lowside hose off. Was able to get some freon into it. And it all works but it's a ******* mess. Re Ordered everything again to fix it all right.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mostly my fault.

Also this was rushed because subaru decided to be cunty. Every light on dash, eyesight off, lane assist off, collision avoidance off, no abs, parking brake light on, and ******* power steering went out. I drove it about 40miles to get home yesterday cause **** that pos. Getting towed to shop this morning.

And cadillac is at cadillac for tranny shit. Would have been fine to drive but i assumedy subaru wouldnt shit the bed this week.

So the only reliable vehicle I have is the yukon.

Ordered wrong drier for chiller, looks exactly the same, threads are the same, but the fittings don't go into the shit.
Ran around about 5 auto parts stores they can't look shit up without a vehicle, the part number on the drier is from Australia can't cross reference the shit. It was either leave it out or reuse it...I vacd shit down for an hour and reused it. Still seems kinda ****** up. Ordered like 3 diff ones that should work.

The drier for the cab, Ordered new, worked fine, but it's for an r12 system so I have to put a r134 port adapter on it. Didnt remember to remove the shrader valve before putting the adapter on. Tried to put the adapter back off and the aluminum is so soft that it just ****** the threads up, ruined port, ruined adapter for the low side. After cussing it for a while, I really didn't want to reuse both driers but the cabin one had a second port. So I pulled the Schrader out of it, all I had was a highside (larger) adapter at this point so I put it on, vacuumed down using the highside hose on the low side with the lowside hose off. Was able to get some freon into it. And it all works but it's a ******* mess. Re Ordered everything again to fix it all right.
The camera went out on Stephs car (Honda accord) that controls the forward collision and lane keep, it made a bunch of lights come on like that.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The camera went out on Stephs car (Honda accord) that controls the forward collision and lane keep, it made a bunch of lights come on like that.
towed to my buddys shop, only code that comes up is a speed sensor, so hes going to start there
yukon kicked ass today, 200+miles for sites today, AC was enough to keep comfortable but could still use some work - prob not going to touch it till new driers come
20220826_120626.jpg20220826_102652.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n