2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the trans is leaking at the shifter tower isolator it's the perfect time to push forward with the trans temp sensor install especially with the new cluster arriving this week. Gotta get a few things ordered tho.

-Correct NV4500 fluid so the carbon synchros don't get eaten up Probably going with Redline GL4 as its cheap
-Fast PTO cooler with 1/4NPT port for sensor just one cooler no need for both sides IMO
-ECT sensor that fits 1/4NPT or a sensor and an adapter
-Shift tower Isolator
-RTV in an easy dispenser (Mine finally died after like 4 years)
-2 Wire pigtail to wire into auto trans harness with the correct plug for new ECT sensor.

I feel like this project is overly expensive for what it is, the dang GL4 is outragious.
$20 per quart? How many quarts does it take?

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$20 per quart? How many quarts does it take?

4 without a PTO cooler, each cooler holds 1qt extra so I'll just need 5 unless I do the 1qt overfill but I don't think I'll do that this time. My RCSB takes 8 IIRC because it has 2 coolers and the 4x4 tail shaft holds an extra 1.5 or something. Its easily a $200 expense to fill.

Also that redline fluid is about half the cost of everything else. The OEM Castrol Syntorque that is unobtainable now used to be like $60 a qt.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 without a PTO cooler, each cooler holds 1qt extra so I'll just need 5 unless I do the 1qt overfill but I don't think I'll do that this time. My RCSB takes 8 IIRC because it has 2 coolers and the 4x4 tail shaft holds an extra 1.5 or something. Its easily a $200 expense to fill.

Also that redline fluid is about half the cost of everything else. The OEM Castrol Syntorque that is unobtainable now used to be like $60 a qt.
That similar to synchromesh? Back when I was 16, I serviced the little NV1500 in the s10. Dealer was the only place that had the fluid. Now a few other companies make it

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That similar to synchromesh? Back when I was 16, I serviced the little NV1500 in the s10. Dealer was the only place that had the fluid. Now a few other companies make it

SYnchromesh is not for the NV4500, it's specifically for the 1500, 3500, and several other variants. The OEM NV4500 fluid is Syntorq but I can't find it anywhere and the last time I did a fluid change I used the Mopar equivalent which is really hard to find now as well. According to Redlines application guide, this will work for a GM NV4500, it's basically the same as the Amsoil equivalent just half the price.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any time to work on my own crap in a while, my welding class is 6 hours every night after 8 hours of work which is pretty brutal and I've been catching up on some fleet maintenance for a buddy's AC repair company. I can tell the shift tower isolator is getting bad in the Tahoe because it's getting difficult to find 2nd gear and there's a ton of play when in gear hopefully I don't accidentally jump out of the gates before this weekend because it's a PITA to fix on the side of the road. I just now ordered the Redline GL4 so I should be 100% ready to add the PTO cooler and temp sensor this Saturday. The gauge cluster shouldn't be too much longer either because the truck is already up to 271k, I plan to get as close to 273k as I can without going over even if it means doing circles in the yard to squeak out the last mile or two.

Not much to take pictures of but here's a picture of a totally ***** spark plug from a 2006 F250 with the god awful triton 5.4 I worked on this weekend. The truck had such a bad misfire it wouldn't go above 40mph and shook like Apollo11 coming back through the atmosphere. Not sure why Ford decided to make the plug hex section so small I think it was a 9/16" and someone had attempted to remove it before and gave up after they half-rounded it off. The other bit of fun on this truck that I should have snapped pics of is that every single connector I've seen is broken and secured with zip ties. I mean every injector, coil pack, and sensor on the entire engine it seems. IDK if some Ape removed them all with channel locks or if the Fords of that era have cheap plastic connectors but it's a mess.

20210814_125057.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a co-worker with a truck that had a Triton in it, I took one look at that engine and refused to help him work on it. What a POS.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a co-worker with a truck that had a Triton in it, I took one look at that engine and refused to help him work on it. What a POS.

Even worse is that it's gutless, this particular truck was a single cab, SRW, and a service bed. That truck compared to their van I worked on right after which is a 6.0, 4l80, with a massive full steel walk in crazy heavy like 12k GVW service bed thingy. The van feels twice as fast and I'm certain the van weighs a minimum of 3k more than the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flagtime