2003 Yukon XL A/C Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacksonathey94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 03 yukon xl with the 5.3 vortec mileage is 145,000 the issue i am having is the a/c struggles to blow cold. It only seems to start to cool when the engine is under a load (i.e. driving down the road @ 35+ mph). If it is just idling it isnt cold at all. Another weird quirk is that it will only blow cold when the a/c button (the snowflake icon) is set to OFF. From what ive gathered reading through these threads im thinking it is a bad fan clutch? The system has a good amount of refrigerant and holds a good pressure level so no leaks. Also wondering if doing an electric fan swap would be the better way to go? Any help and advice would be much appreciated, thank you!!!!

HD_LS

Reaction score
Certainly could be the fan clutch. I converted a pickup from clutch fan to efans, and the AC cooling at idle is dramatically improved. You can even put in a manual switch to run the fans on high, anytime that you want to.

OP
OP
J

jacksonathey94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Certainly could be the fan clutch. I converted a pickup from clutch fan to efans, and the AC cooling at idle is dramatically improved. You can even put in a manual switch to run the fans on high, anytime that you want to.

Thanks so much!! Looking into doing a conversion now. Any recommendations in particular?

HD_LS

Reaction score
Thanks so much!! Looking into doing a conversion now. Any recommendations in particular?

Recommendations: funny, I just posted this in another forum area:

The Fans draw serious power. You have to run relays under the hood, to power them. And the hot wire that is being fed to the contacts of those relays has to come directly from the battery, or alternator (preferably with a big fuse in-line). Learnings from having done this conversion on a truck: 1) You need a high output alternator, 2) You likely may need a smaller pulley on your high output alternator to prevent voltage dips on fan startup. 3) You can't start both fans on high at once, the voltage will dip badly. Low speed first, delay, then high speed.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
I have a 03 yukon xl with the 5.3 vortec mileage is 145,000 the issue i am having is the a/c struggles to blow cold. It only seems to start to cool when the engine is under a load (i.e. driving down the road @ 35+ mph). If it is just idling it isnt cold at all. Another weird quirk is that it will only blow cold when the a/c button (the snowflake icon) is set to OFF. From what ive gathered reading through these threads im thinking it is a bad fan clutch? The system has a good amount of refrigerant and holds a good pressure level so no leaks. Also wondering if doing an electric fan swap would be the better way to go? Any help and advice would be much appreciated, thank you!!!!
Alot of red flags here 1st how long has this been going on.2nd works when going 35 mph so its a air flow issue.3rd only works when the ac is turned off wtf.4th good amount of refrigerant how much is that -what are the readings.I would say fan clutch also-go out after its sits all night and spin the fan does it have tension on it.Is your shroud intact upper and lower.The part about the ac works when the snow flake is off is baffling to me makes no sense.Spin the fan when cold and let us know first.YOu also can install 1 accy fan with relay and yes might have to upgrade alternator for the amp draw.But these are some of the things you have to do if you want upgrades.Im thinking with only 1 accy fan you wouldnt have to upgrade the alternator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons