2003 Tahoe Z71 navigation & xm needs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike54

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this site and am looking for guidance. I just bought a 2003 Z71 which I truly love. I would like to get a navigation/xm head unit to install. I am looking for the head unit, antennas, xm module, and nav disk. I know it can be done, I just need a lead in Texas that can help me get sorted out. Does anyone have a lead for me? I am in the central texas area and am happy to go where I need to go. Thanks

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Yes. If you have average mechanical skills you can do this yourself. Ebay Motors is probably your best bet for the parts. XM mounts behind the glove box. You'll need the wiring harness, antenna harness, antenna, and receiver module. The lower dash and glove box must be removed to install the receiver module. There is a bracket and a screw holding the bracket to the body of the vehicle that is an absolute ***** because its so tedious, but its not in any way technically complex. You'll need to drill a hole in the roof to install the XM antenna. I have an XM system with everything but one piece of the antenna harness available for sale. PM me if interested.

Make sure your get the right OEM nav system for your vehicle. If you have a Z71, I'm guessing you have non-lux Bose. Check your glove box and look for RPO codes Y91 or Y92. If you DON'T have these, the following nav system part numbers should be plug and semi-play (you will probably need some dealer programming): 15800000, 10351123, 10379287, 10377287, or 15120706. If you have Y91 or Y92 you need 15800001, 15230099, or 10377531. Make sure you get the right head unit. You should be able to find one on ebay for under $500 if you are careful. I scored one in perfect shape there for $345 once. I recommend you avoid all the INR (non-touch screen) units. You will need to take the upper dash off to install the nav antenna properly. You will need to take the dash bezel off to install the head unit. Pull the gear shift lever down to first gear and just grab the dash bezel and pull it off. Two or three screws hold the head unit in. One screw holds the nav antenna to a dash support bar. This is an extremely easy installation.

-B

Last edited:

Dylan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've got XM now you won't need anything more than the head unit and nav antenna. I did this upgrade myself. Plug n play pretty much. I did have to unlock it with a TechII though.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boomer, I think if he gets the sharkfin Antenna, he can do xm + onstar on the existing hole. Saves a little work.

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Yeah, I hadn't thought of that - that's probably true. Is that the three wire antenna that came on the 06 and 07 classics? I don't think that one will plug right in. I'm pretty sure that requires an extension harness to be used on the 03-05 vehicles. Shark fin looks a lot better, and isn't suceptible to drooping over and looking like a small limp dick on the roof like the rubber one is. And it sucks to have to drill through the paint if you don't have to.

-B

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Naileddown