2003 Tahoe LS 2WD 5.3L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

901Tahoe_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got a 2003 Tahoe LS 5.3L 2WD with 260k miles and paid $2000. Been lurking around these forums and have been successful with making a lot of repairs to this truck. I picked up a clone GM Tech 2 as well as got the GM esi Windows XP workshop manual, and those two alone as well as this forum have made troubleshooting and repairing so much easier. I had a misfire issue and was able to determine which coil pack was bad. ABS light which happened to be a bad front speed sensor. AC compressor went out and was able to use the Tech 2 to see all the sensor data and check my HVAC control unit. Clear out CELs, do a fuel trim relearn. Only got one check engine code: P0430, and plan on gutting the cats and using an o2 spacer on the rear o2 sensor. Been looking at various mods to do like the electric fan conversion.

Other major issues are the notorious lifter tap on the driver wide when initially cranked up, and need to tackle the loose steering (made a post about this a little bit ago). As well as determine why the mpg is kinda low for highway speeds and the exhaust smells a little rich. Probably has to do with the catalytic converter issue.

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got a 2003 Tahoe LS 5.3L 2WD with 260k miles and paid $2000. Been lurking around these forums and have been successful with making a lot of repairs to this truck. I picked up a clone GM Tech 2 as well as got the GM esi Windows XP workshop manual, and those two alone as well as this forum have made troubleshooting and repairing so much easier. I had a misfire issue and was able to determine which coil pack was bad. ABS light which happened to be a bad front speed sensor. AC compressor went out and was able to use the Tech 2 to see all the sensor data and check my HVAC control unit. Clear out CELs, do a fuel trim relearn. Only got one check engine code: P0430, and plan on gutting the cats and using an o2 spacer on the rear o2 sensor. Been looking at various mods to do like the electric fan conversion.

Other major issues are the notorious lifter tap on the driver wide when initially cranked up, and need to tackle the loose steering (made a post about this a little bit ago). As well as determine why the mpg is kinda low for highway speeds and the exhaust smells a little rich. Probably has to do with the catalytic converter issue.
Welcome to the forum.

It's possible to remediate most powertrain pid's like the 0430 and the other one(left bank right bank) with HP tuners.. If you don't want to use fuel trims.. Turn off MAF and use speed density.. It's really that easy. At least you'll know why the engine is doing what it's doing.

C

OP
OP

901Tahoe_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

It's possible to remediate most powertrain pid's like the 0430 and the other one(left bank right bank) with HP tuners.. If you don't want to use fuel trims.. Turn off MAF and use speed density.. It's really that easy. At least you'll know why the engine is doing what it's doing.

C
I would think if anything MAF would be more beneficial than just speed density.

I was looking into HP tuners, could you link me to a kit that has everything I need to tinker with it? Also how does the credit system work? Is it one credit per VIN? Or one credit per tune?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar