2003 Tahoe intermittent electrical issue - Fixed!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanstapes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2003 Chevy Tahoe with 145,000 miles.
I joined this forum to share my findings and hopefully help someone out in the future. I had an intermittent electrical issue for the past year, that I tried every solution that I could find online, but it never fixed the problem.

Symptoms:
1. Sometimes if the vehicle was running for a long period of time or even going over large bumps in the road it would trigger the following things to stop working: fuel gauge, oil pressure gauge, battery gauge, temp gaugue, radio, windows, door locks, key fob, A/C compressor (the blower still worked). The abs light and E-brake light would display on the instrument cluster. The information center would display “Unknown Driver”.
2. The issue also would occur on occasion while not running and would cause the vehicle not to start. All the conditions listed above were the same, but the addition of having it not start was the big kicker. It still cranked and would start for a second, but then died, just like the theft deterrent would do. This would happen to me after driving it, stopping for a short period of time, then trying to start it again (just running errands) or if it was a hot day( >80F) and the sun was beating on it for hours.

Things I tried:
In my research I found plenty of people that had the same symptoms as me and the things I tried were: Inspecting and cleaning all the grounds, checking for power to all the modules, relocating the black with yellow stripe wire going to the back of the engine block, pinched data wire in the center console, chaffed wires under the driver seat, reseating connectors, bypassing the theft deterrent at the ignition, I also replaced the ignition switch.

Testing:
I had a tech2 with limited knowledge for using it, but mostly just used it to see if I had communication with the modules. When the truck was not having issues I could not get communication with the radio or HVAC, but everything else showed up. If the truck was experiencing the problem the tech2 would not even establish communication. I then used a scope to trace the data voltage signal from the DLC connector, it showed a good looking square wave that peaked at 7 volts, so no issues there. I also removed the jumpers from splice packs 205, 206 & 207, to check the data signals of the individual modules, again everything check out here, 7 volt square waves. I noticed when I put the jumper back in sp205, my door module stopped working, so I messed with it then the radio stopped working and so on. It was very difficult to get everything working at the same time.

Solution:
I found the problem was the jumper for the class 2 serial data wires at the splice pack connector sp205. It’s a 12 pin connector under the dash to the left of the BCM, and it’s not easy to get to. It has a white plastic cover on it that holds in the metal jumper. All I did was remove the jumper put a small bead of solder on each pin of the jumper to build up the width of the pin. I checked the modules with the tech2 and now had communication with all of them. I guess the terminals of the connecter had lost some of their spring and were barely making a connection. Heat was the biggest trigger of the problem, so the poor connection was creating a resistance resulting in heat being generated.

Sorry about the long write up, but hopefully this helps someone out.

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this actually sounds like somehting thats happened to my hoe on two seperate occasions, at least one part of your symptoms

the not starting but cranking and on for a second then shut off thing, at first i thought it was fuel related but this could be the actual problem being as though i thought it was fuel filter and still havent replaced it, and it hasnt done it at all in a while

i'm gonna bookmark this for future reference, thanks a lot man

GangstaCowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like I have similar issue. Intermittently I will have no power when I try to start the car. No lights are anything. When I was messing around with it I slammed the car door with the key turned in the ignition and suddenly the power came back on. Also the radio works but the clock will be reset but the stations will still be. the memory.

notamechanic81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ryanstapes, I can't tell you how happy I am that I saw this post! I seem to have the worst luck with cars of any kind, and it's almost taken it to the point where when something happens, i'm ready to hand the keys off to the next person that walks by.

left work the other day, noticed my ABS, battery and airbag (i think) lights came on. As I hyperventilated my way to the gas station, I got my gas, turned the car back on to head straight to Fast lane oil change to get my transfer case fluid topped off because apparently I have a pretty heavy leak there, and noticed that I had no gauges.. fuel, temp, and oil were all dead. One of them didn't work to begin with. Also have lights out where my gear reader thing is.. Think i need a new gauge cluster. Anyway, stopped at fast lane, and the dude noticed that my front day time running light was burnt out. I had another one, so i had him change it out. It was melted. the whole casing was stuck to the bulb. He pried it out, put the new one in, and when I left, I had no radio, power windows, or door locks. For the love of GOD LET ME KEEP ME STEREO!!! I thought at that moment that will all the other ******** that has gravitated my direction lately, that my life had finally come to an end. So... I bitched and threw a mild tantrum, and then hopped on here. That's when I saw your post! With some help from my dad, we managed to reach that dumb wire you were talking about, and instead of having to solder it, we bent the pins a bit. BINGO!!! Only problem is that everything works great, but now my auto start, lock and unlock on my remote doesn't work. I can lock/unlock from the inside control panel but as far as the remote goes, it's useless.. Anyone have any idea if this is something that I have to get reprogramed or if maybe the whole problem isn't fixed?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??

Craig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Turns over but will not start

I believe that my 2003 chevy motorhome maybe having the same problem. Sometimes when this guage problem occures, It will not start. It does turn over, but will not start. And then some time later it will start. It is strange because it will start most of the time, even if the guages are not working. Does this sound like the problem that you fixed by repairing the connector?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will have to remember this if I have starting problems again

JAWKNEEBEE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK I had the same problems mine turned out "so far" to be I had water in the computer connectors at the main computer next to the battery cleaned it all up really good slapped it together and holy cow all of the problems were gone! took it for a drive went well only thing not working now is the Temp gauge... not sure what to think of that....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kkkkpppp