2003 hoe "Reduced engine power"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BostonZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Kinda at my wits end on this. I've read through a couple of forums with similar issues but there seems to be so many possibilities so I'm posting MY story in hopes to see if someone has hit a similar wall. In the warmer months when I cranked my truck, occasionally it just won't start until the 4th, 5th try. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for this.
During the colder months when I start it, occasionally I will get an error "Engine power reduced" on the dash. When this happens the truck refuses to go above 20 mph even if I push the pedal to the floor like there's a speed governor on it, but the engine revs really loud (even with it in park) like the truck wants to fly but is being held back. When this happens I let it sit and run for 15-20 minutes, turn it off and crank it up and then it'll drive normal but the check engine light remains on.
The truck is an 03 so it's almost 20 years old and it has over 250K miles on it, but it's never had any major issues. I bought it almost new with only 30K miles on it in 05. I've replaced alternator 4 yrs ago, water pump 6 yrs ago and regular maintenance with belts and brakes. Over the last four years I've lived in the city with everything close by so I don't drive as much as I used to. It's not uncommon for me to go a whole week without having to drive.

2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71
From Texas plant
260,341 Miles

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Buy or borrow a code reader and post up the powertrain codes that are triggering the message. You may have to read them while it's doing it, or they might be in the history or pending codes.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"reduced engine power mode" Should cause you to not be able to go much over 20MPH. Thats normal. The stereotypical cause is bad TPS, TAC Module, FBW Throttle Assembly or associated wiring with any one of them and especially the wiring 6" inches from the plug at the TPS which tends to get a broken wire over time. The codes should give you a better idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu