2003 Chevy Tahoe chassis for a muscle car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hotrod686

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Happy New Year to all the gear heads out there! I have a 1969 Dodge Charger that is beyond restoration possibilities. I have a 2003 Tahoe chassis that pretty much fits the dimensions. Has anyone used a tahoe or Yukon 2nd chassis for a donor on a muscle car rather than a custom build? Thanks in advance for any help here. Also, I would not be using any of the drive train or electronics.

Nooj

Reaction score
I thought about sticking a ‘57 Chevy wagon on a tahoe chassis. But all I did was think about it…
I know lots of folks have put older pickups on Tahoe chassis. In fact there’s a company that makes a body mount kit for various old trucks.
But, part of the benefit of doing so is having the modem suspension and running gear, and whatever electronics could be converted to the older body.

I guess if the dimensions are close enough, it might be worth a shot.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In this day and age alot is possible. The muscle cars do lend themselves to being more dimensionally adaptable to the nbs chassis and track width etc. Length is easily changed by cutting down or lengthening the chassis. I would suggest to change the rear 5 link to a triangulated 4 link or 3 link. Only reason I say that is the rear lower control arm mounts are pretty low under the rest of the chassis, main reason I mention this is the ride height of your car needs to be low and aggressive for sure. The other thing that may be a hurdle is the frame height vs the unibody car, You will be channeling alot of steel into the interior, estimate about 5" to tuck most of the frame under the rockers. So this can cut down on seat height and comfort. If your not a tall or big guy then then you may be perfect in this setup.

I always consider all aspects of a build before jumping in.

If you're really handy with a welder, you could make a cut out of the top of the chassis just under the front seat for additional height and foot room. Just have to add in some steel on the sides and maybe another cross member.

Ive done some s10 chassis under 50s trucks and they fit well. I'd be interested in seeing what you're starting with.

I think the positive of doing a swap like that is suspension and chassis support in aftermarket is really good and cheaper than the mopar stuff. I am guessing your keeping the LS platform and is main reason for the idea behind the swap?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts