2002 yukon whine when cold outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAHoe2213

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out i have a 2002 yukon 5.3 that when it is really cold below 20 i get a loud high pitched whine at idle and while driving it goes in and out almost like a bad bearing maybe ?. if i pull into a garage within five mins of warming up it stops so it is kind of hard to find. I have changed out the alternator, belts, the three belt tensioners, the power steering pump is new i have no idea. And my mechanic has a hard time trouble shooting it because of it going away when you pull it into a garage with heat. Any help would be great.

I have same thing going on with my 04 when it was -20 in chicago last week or so it was the worst yet.If you find out what it is please let me know Thank you

CFD Jerry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is an update, but not cold enough to do it yet... I did have to change the power steering pump due to it going bad just a couple months ago and went with full synthetic fluid. Then I notice my alternator had a squeal when I was cleaning under the hood this summer and recently noticed it was getting pretty loud.

I can tell by the new verses old it is spinning much better so I would assume bearings were going. Where in summer with heat metal expands and in cold it contracts.

So we shall see when the temps drop to super cold what happens....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24