2002 tahoe aftermarket wheel offset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ILtahoe02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sure this has probably been covered but I'm having trouble finding anything so I'll go ahead and ask.

I've got an 02 tahoe I bought over the summer. It has the factory 16 inch wheels and some cheap no name 265 p rated tires on it. I've already converted from autoride to standard shock absorbers and the rear have helper springs on them to help with the spring rate. It rides better but still feels like it squirms around more than I like. I don't think the tires have enough sidewall stiffness to them.

I'm thinking about going to 17 inch wheels and 265/70/17 tires partially for looks and partially hoping that an inch less sidewall and a better quality tire will help stiffen up the ride a little. What is the proper offset to use? I don't need them tucked in like the factory wheels but I don't want a bunch of rubbing either. I found a set I like but they are a 0 offset 17x8.5, will that stick out past the fender flares and or cause rubbing?

Thanks

410empanada

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Factory should be 16x7 with something like 5.25” backspace.
17x8.5 with zero offset would have 4.25” backspace. Plus a wider rim. I hope I’m accurate.
Someone will chime in with that exact combo.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure, but have you inspected or upgraded the rest of your suspension? I'm a big fan of poly bushing on the sways. Its an easy and cheap fix, that will stiffen it up, (about $50 an hour or two tops).

Might be a stupid question, but is your tire pressure good? At the very least go max it out to your recommended, (or a little more temporarily). It will worsen your grip, but if you are still squirming you are going to need something other than a slightly smaller sidewall to get what you want.

IMO, tires and wheels is something that's kind of hard to get right (at least the first time). Its expensive to dial them in to your preference. If you are that unhappy with your wheel/tire setup I don't think you are going to be happy going with only a 1" larger wheel.

(we need a gamefly version of wheels and tires for members so they can see what they like before spending $1K + each time to figure it out what looks and ride they want. What tires do well in the rain, snow, and summer. (This was an idea that just popped up, I'm going to make a thread to discuss this further for the hell of it). https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...y-netflix-version-of-wheels-and-tires.109354/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA