2001 Yukon instrument cluster is intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gnilson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a weird issue. When I get in the truck in the morning, the Gauges all work. When I drive out the driveway, as soon as I hit a bump, they all flicker and act like the ignition was turned off and then back on. After doing that a few times, they stay off. Next morning, same thing. My first thought was a bad ground and I checked everything I could easily, but the fact that it goes off until the next morning implies there maybe something else going on. Also the outside temp affects it. If its cooler out, they don't appear to be as sensitive. If its hot out they go out very quickly. I drove 50 miles on a cool day and they flickered a bunch but never shut down. 2 days before, in 80 degree morning, I didn't get down the street 100 yards and they flickered once, then went dead for the rest of the day. This scenario has been repeatable for the past month or so.

Is it possible there is a relay going bad? When they are working, everything works. When it dies, everything but the blinker lights go down. I am not clear on what circuit the gauges are on and I'm just looking for some guidance. I don't want to replace the cluster because it seems to be repairable to me.

One more thing. I have had the Service 4 Wheel Drive reminder come on a couple of times upon initial startup and then go off after about a minute. Since it doesn't come on every time I start the truck, I figured it was just another gremlin, but not so sure anymore.

TIA

Geoff

Capsalot1

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a weird issue. When I get in the truck in the morning, the Gauges all work. When I drive out the driveway, as soon as I hit a bump, they all flicker and act like the ignition was turned off and then back on. After doing that a few times, they stay off. Next morning, same thing. My first thought was a bad ground and I checked everything I could easily, but the fact that it goes off until the next morning implies there maybe something else going on. Also the outside temp affects it. If its cooler out, they don't appear to be as sensitive. If its hot out they go out very quickly. I drove 50 miles on a cool day and they flickered a bunch but never shut down. 2 days before, in 80 degree morning, I didn't get down the street 100 yards and they flickered once, then went dead for the rest of the day. This scenario has been repeatable for the past month or so.

Is it possible there is a relay going bad? When they are working, everything works. When it dies, everything but the blinker lights go down. I am not clear on what circuit the gauges are on and I'm just looking for some guidance. I don't want to replace the cluster because it seems to be repairable to me.

One more thing. I have had the Service 4 Wheel Drive reminder come on a couple of times upon initial startup and then go off after about a minute. Since it doesn't come on every time I start the truck, I figured it was just another gremlin, but not so sure anymore.

TIA

Geoff
I’m having a weird issue with mine too, some lights come on, couple gauges stop working, and lcd starts flashing low battery and low gas then it starts working again. Very intermittent.

Attachments

• ECB0D95E-0578-486C-933B-B988E3C56302.jpeg
    ECB0D95E-0578-486C-933B-B988E3C56302.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 2
  • B02497B9-78E0-4C02-AFA8-AEACC37722B7.jpeg
    B02497B9-78E0-4C02-AFA8-AEACC37722B7.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 2

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the cluster and then remove its rear panel. (Search Youtube: Instrument cluster silver migration) Get a scotchbrite pad and some rubbing alcohol and scrub lightly the solder paths on circuit board. You are looking to get the grayish, whitish, blackish crap off the rear of the cluster. This crap will bridge paths on your cluster circuit board and cause all kinds of things to happen on your cluster. While cluster is out scotchbrite the rear connector and the connector in the that the cluster plugs into.

Your service 4 wheel drive indicator problems is the position switch that is part of the electric motor that shifts your transfer case. The position switch is worn and causing intermittent loss of position feedback to Tcase controller. Just the switch can be replaced but you have to remove the electric shift motor from Tcase to do it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

TIA

Geoff

For the Service 4WD message you'll need an advanced scanner like a Tech 2 that can look at the 4WD system. You could throw parts at it all day and not cure the problem, so getting the code(s) would help narrow down the cause. Until then you're shooting in the dark. It could be the dash switch, the encoder motor, one of the body grounds, the TCCM, or something else.

OP
OP
G

gnilson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I will pull it apart today in between the rain showers and give it a cleaning and go from there.

Geoff

OP
OP
G

gnilson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I pulled the gauge pod and cleaned the circuit board and reinstalled. No change. I then removed the body ground wire to the engine, cleaned it and Bingo, everything worked again. Lets see how long that lasts...

OP
OP
G

gnilson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I pulled the gauge pod and cleaned the circuit board and reinstalled. No change. I then removed the body ground wire to the engine, cleaned it and Bingo, everything worked again. Lets see how long that lasts...
So my gauges are completely dead. I sent it out to get gone through, got it back, plugged it in, no joy. I do have intermittent draw on the brand new battery as well as various relays cycling for no apparent reason while running and after shutting it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doc52