2001 GMC Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ella ramaley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have Kelly Edge AT LT265 75 16 tires and the sticker on the door says 265 70 16 tires take 35 psi..
The kelly tires say 80psi max. How much pressure should I put in the tires. I had them rotated at walmart and the guy put 35 psi , but I would think I would need more pressure if the tire sidewall has max 80 psi. I did notice that the edges were wearing more than the center, so I guess that would mean the pressure is not high enough. How much should I put in? I sometimes tow a small 2000 lb. camper.
Thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Sounds like the Kelly tires are likely an "E" load rating. Plus you said the edges are wearing faster than the center tread. I would run the tire pressure at 60-65 psi. The 80 psi is suggested for heavy towing as a max pressure and not a running around all the time pressure.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have Kelly Edge AT LT265 75 16 tires and the sticker on the door says 265 70 16 tires take 35 psi..
The kelly tires say 80psi max. How much pressure should I put in the tires. I had them rotated at walmart and the guy put 35 psi , but I would think I would need more pressure if the tire sidewall has max 80 psi. I did notice that the edges were wearing more than the center, so I guess that would mean the pressure is not high enough. How much should I put in? I sometimes tow a small 2000 lb. camper.
Thanks!
I'd go what's on the tire sidewall. LT tires take more air then 35 psi. I have LT's on my work van--245 75 16's--and I have then at 60 psi. Yes, wear on the outer edge of the tires means not enough air.

OP
OP
Ella ramaley

Ella ramaley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Sounds like the Kelly tires are likely an "E" load rating. Plus you said the edges are wearing faster than the center tread. I would run the tire pressure at 60-65 psi. The 80 psi is suggested for heavy towing as a max pressure and not a running around all the time pressure.
Thank You! They are load range E. I had been putting in about 45 psi, but guess that is too low. Can't believe the walmart guy said he lowered the pressure to 35 psi. I questioned him about that but you know how it goes..

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd go what's on the tire sidewall. LT tires take more air then 35 psi. I have LT's on my work van--245 75 16's--and I have then at 60 psi. Yes, wear on the outer edge of the tires means not enough air.

If both edges of a tire are wearing more than the center, then that indicates under-inflation. But if only one edge of the tread is wearing more, that's an alignment issue.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you do go ahead and run 80 psi, then watch for center tread wear. @Tonyrodz is right when he says run the recommended tire pressure on the sidewall of the tire but I do disagree that you should run that pressure. That is MAX pressure, especially when hauling a load. If not hauling a load you don't have to run at max pressure. You will find the sweet spot and then stick with that. Basically, those load range E tires should not be on a Tahoe/Yukon unless hauling all the time. Not abnormal for the Suburban because it is designed to haul more load.

You can't go wrong with 80 psi except that I feel the center tread will then begin to wear quick. One thing for sure at that pressure. The sidewalls will not flex as much so turns and quick lane changes will be stiffer.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
If you do go ahead and run 80 psi, then watch for center tread wear. @Tonyrodz is right when he says run the recommended tire pressure on the sidewall of the tire but I do disagree that you should run that pressure. That is MAX pressure, especially when hauling a load. If not hauling a load you don't have to run at max pressure. You will find the sweet spot and then stick with that. Basically, those load range E tires should not be on a Tahoe/Yukon unless hauling all the time. Not abnormal for the Suburban because it is designed to haul more load.

You can't go wrong with 80 psi except that I feel the center tread will then begin to wear quick. One thing for sure at that pressure. The sidewalls will not flex as much so turns and quick lane changes will be stiffer.
Correct. DAMN! I need to take more time and proofread my answers. I also don't recommend going to the max pressure. 60 psi is my van's sweet spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64

Latest posts