2 Yukons with bad transmissions

When did you experience transmission problems?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2004 Yukon Denali AWD with the original trans @274k. Fluid was always changed at the proper intervals, never towed and shifted beautifully. Sometimes your just SOL with vehicles.
Never towed Proper fluid changes = Long Life.

Antwon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sir if I may ask did any of your trans make your vehicle feel like you was driving over rumble strips? I’ve had 3 different trans installed and they all ended up doing the same thing TC locking up. I drive a 11 Tahoe and the issue started after 150k

I have a similar experience. I had 2004 GMC Yukon that I ran for 450k miles... and 3 transmissions. The problem was resolved when I stopped using GM parts, and replacement transmissions. I live in SoCal and took it to Leon’s transmissions. These guys are fantastic by the way. They know their transmissions. They said these transmissions are the most repaired transmissions out there. The issue is their Torque converters. Leon’s overbuilt the transmission with better grade after market parts that address the issues with these transmissions. The transmission that Leon’s built worked better than the original transmission the vehicle came with and lasted until I wrecked the vehicle. Now to present .... I purchased a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 and had the exact same issue at 50k miles. Still under warranty I had it repaired at a GMC dealer here in La Quinta..failed Torque converter, burnt clutch, metal shavings thought the oil and pan.. we’ll the issues of hard shifting, which is the beginning of the problems, still exist. I took it back and they couldn’t replicate the problem.... BS.... they are kicking the can down the road. There are fixes for this problem as I know first hand. GMC warranty won’t allow any after market parts to be used that are not GM parts, so says the service manager at the dealership in La Quinta. There’s the problem. We can put a man on the moon, but CMC can’t make a transmission that works. I have had. 8 of their vehicles in my life and never had a transmission issues on any of them except the last 2. This will be the last GM or Chevy product I own. The good news is there is a class action lawsuit against GM for being unwilling to fix the problem. GM doesn’t make money in selling cars anymore, they make money on service at 150.00 an hour.... GM should have been allowed to go bankrupt in 2008 and 2009 it would have been purchased, reorganized and today consumers would have a better product. Bailing GMC just saved the old ways of doing business and the unions that as we know now are corrupt. They just lost a loyal customer

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2005 Tahoe new (still have) I changed the oil and filter at 30-60-90 thousand miles. Trans went out at 110,000 So the oil changes that I did was a waste.
But why did it go out? Always overhauled my own trans, before but getting to old to crawl under the car. Had Chevy install a rebuilt..
I think it was just one of the valves, or celenoid in the valve body hanging up. I will never know.

Last edited:

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Dexron VI fluids are designed to work well up to 230 and BEYOND. The "old chart" that shows you diminishing the life of your transmission above 175 is pure BS. Trans coolers are good but pulling over because you are above 195 is foolish.You can run at 230 no problem. At 260 You need to ease off....

Now proper flushing/exchane of trans fluid is a good thing.

Added EDITS...

Last edited:

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 00 sub has 385,000 still on the factory build... it has been put thru hell and back... towed trailers its whole life... it's had its fluid changed every 30 to 40k... it hasn't given up on me yet...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Dexron VI fluids are designed to work well up to 230. The "old chart" that shows you diminishing the life of your transmission above 175 is pure BS. Trans coolers are good but pulling over because you are above 195 is foolish.

Now proper flushing/exchane of trans fluid is a good thing.

The warnings don't come on the dash until the temp is over 260 and the fluid is good for 400+. Having said that, the life is diminished the hotter it gets. How much? Don't know. But if I was towing and my temps were in the 230s or more on that trip for any length of time you can be sure that the trans would get new fluid soon after.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I crest the 200F mark when towing at 60-65 mph in hilly terrain during the summer. I installed a Tru-Cool max 4921 aftermarket cooler though. I’m doing 30k intervals. Amazon recently had 12-qt cases of Havoline Dex-6 compatible fluid for $38 delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

02n12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 00 sub has 385,000 still on the factory build... it has been put thru hell and back... towed trailers its whole life... it's had its fluid changed every 30 to 40k... it hasn't given up on me yet...
Nice! That's what I wished I could have seen out of either of mine.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I crest the 200F mark when towing at 60-65 mph in hilly terrain during the summer. I installed a Tru-Cool max 4921 aftermarket cooler though. I’m doing 30k intervals. Amazon recently had 12-qt cases of Havoline Dex-6 compatible fluid for $38 delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doing similar here, beginning 36K intervals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20