1997 GMC Yukon Mystery Problem -Help!-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey I'm Bobcat and I have a 1997 GMC Yukon SLE 4-Door 2WD beast of a truck! Haha well here is the thing...Before I tell you the problem Im going to tell you what Ive done to it.

-Changed the Oil
-Cleaned the Throttle Body
-Cleaned the MAF
-I have the part so I am going to replace the PCV valve
-Replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor
-Cleaned the EGR valve
-Replaced the Fuel Filter
-Replaced all Spark plugs (Must of had originals because they were caked with what looked like carbon)
-Replaced the Spark Plug Wires
-Replaced the Distributor Cap
-Replaced the Rotor inside the Cap

Now that you know what I have done I am getting a check engine light and it will flash for a brief moment! (Don't have a scanner and Ive parked this badboy for now)Its running rich and its running a little rough at start up but as soon as i get going it runs great. AS SOON as I start to slow down to a stop it gets all rough again and feels like its going to die but doesn't. Other then that I dont have any problem with my beast and I really love her so please if anyone has some advice let me know!

Ridinpsycho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like one of the o2 sensors are malfunctioning you should have 3 and they tell the ECM wether your getting fuel or too much " hinse " the running rich...get to an auto zone and check for codes for bank1 or bank2-3 hope that helps...only other thing I would replace is the throttle positioning sensor ( TPS ).

OP
OP
B

Bobcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any way to test the sensor? The funny thing is I cant drive it yet because of the tag But i have time to check and work on it before I drive it more. Also anything else i can do to tune it up? Its got alot of miles but its my baby ya know?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If your CEL has active flashing at random times you have an active misfire going on. a proper scan tool that can read misfire history can pinpoint exactly what cylinder is misfiring and will narrow down the trouble area. Ensure you have delco 41-993 or autolite xp605 in there and they should have already been gapped at .065. In most cases anything but Delphi , Delco or MSD wires or cap/rotors will cause you griefs. And if you do get a scanner that can read misfire history it should also be able to read the activity of your 4 O2 sensors to see if they are acting up some how. TPS sensors can be tested with a scanner showing TPS position as well as with the proper multi meter you are looking for smooth meter movement from close to open with no hiccups along the way.

1. Connect multimeter from TP sensor connector terminal B (BLK wire) to terminal C (DK Blue wire). Jumpers for terminal access can be made using terminals gm 1214836 and 12014837.
  2. With ignition ON, engine stopped, the TP signal voltage should be less than 1.25V if more than 1.25V verify free throttle movement. If still more than 1.25V , replace TP sensor.
  3. Remove the voltmeter and jumpers, reconnect the TP sensor connector to the sensor.

OP
OP
B

Bobcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright so I did ALOT of stuff to my Yukon the other day and ended up putting a scanner on it. I got the Code P0305 which is Cylander #5 misfire...SO I brought it to the mechanic becuase that is past my ability to do since I just did the tune up and I know its getting spark.

Update: The Mechanic says its the FPR or the Fuel spider and its hard to know what its going to be becuase they need to take off the top of the engine to find out...

So my question to you really nice people here is! I have an old fuel spider out of a 2000 s10 blazer and a new FPR will it work alright? I really dont wanna sink 300 bucks into a new Fuel spider when the one I have is 60 bucks. Also once its open and I give them the two parts...what other stuff will they need? Cuz I might as well buy those too while im at it...