1997 GMC Yukon Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
97YukonNZ

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your transfer case is making noise? They offered you a used one for $1000? I wonder what that is in USD.
I looked on Rock Auto or maybe LCM for a complete replacement transfer new and it was like over $1000 u.s.d I think + shipping.

I can source replacement bearings and chain here if it's running chain and then do the the speciality bits from Rock or LCM.
It goes okay in 2wd with a wee bit of niose but when in 4wd it gets a bit squeally so I think it is to do with the forward conversion.
Wont know until I get it apart. Is possible that its $1000 for trans with transfer so will need to make sure I get the right one ayy

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I looked on Rock Auto or maybe LCM for a complete replacement transfer new and it was like over $1000 u.s.d I think + shipping.

I can source replacement bearings and chain here if it's running chain and then do the the speciality bits from Rock or LCM.
It goes okay in 2wd with a wee bit of niose but when in 4wd it gets a bit squeally so I think it is to do with the forward conversion.
Wont know until I get it apart. Is possible that its $1000 for trans with transfer so will need to make sure I get the right one ayy
I don't know anything about transfer cases, but I've heard the older cases are pretty basic with the internals. Have you tried YouTube? Hopefully the internal pieces can be sourced locally.

OP
OP
97YukonNZ

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about transfer cases, but I've heard the older cases are pretty basic with the internals. Have you tried YouTube? Hopefully the internal pieces can be sourced locally.
Yes I have! Y.t is a great source of info. Have seen that there is an issue in earlier cases with wear in the housing where 2wd - 4 wd selector is in the transfer causing a leak so I got a good look inside then.
The big hassle is lying under it while changing it out. Looks like I'll have to back off the trans cross member while load supporting to get at the top bolts and it looks like a heavy lump!
No rush tho,will be well sussed when it comes time to do. :chewie:

OP
OP
97YukonNZ

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,has been a while since I've done anything to the Yukon.
It goes so well I haven't had to do anything since replacing the shocks & adding the the lowered shackles in the rear.
So today I planned to wash her. Didn't get there. While it was level I decided to lift the bonnet and check fluids.
She hasnt used any coolant since getting the intake gasket replaced! So that means that she was probably leaking from when I bought her,as I was always needing to check & refill fortnightly. LbL(lite bladder leakage) lol
While under the bonnet I checked the oil, hasnt used any since oil change so I thought I'd finally pull the plugs to see firstly what it is running and secondly what shape they were in.
20211002_114959.jpg
Not bad shape I thought. A bit of rust on 2 & 4 cylinder plugs, probably from intake leak but overall all 8 plugs were very similar. 20211002_130642.jpgpulled n cleaned the plug wires as well,then gave the rest of the engine a look over,cleaned or fixed a couple of things & put it all back together20211002_131657.jpgI noticed while putting the wires back in that the distributor was loose! ***** Phuka!! The mechanic who did the work on it fixing the intake leak cant have tightened it after reassembly and setting the timing! How the phuck do you not lock the dizzy down after setting the timing?!!20211002_130655.jpgAlmost back together and happy enough. Looks like I'll have to buy a timing light and see how my my ear tuning is. She drove okay around the block but I'll need to take it somewhere I can put the boot up her. Bloody mechanics ayy?
Still,was good to check this stuff out. Plugs came out easy so when I do new ones n wires it'll be an easy job.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,has been a while since I've done anything to the Yukon.
It goes so well I haven't had to do anything since replacing the shocks & adding the the lowered shackles in the rear.
So today I planned to wash her. Didn't get there. While it was level I decided to lift the bonnet and check fluids.
She hasnt used any coolant since getting the intake gasket replaced! So that means that she was probably leaking from when I bought her,as I was always needing to check & refill fortnightly. LbL(lite bladder leakage) lol
While under the bonnet I checked the oil, hasnt used any since oil change so I thought I'd finally pull the plugs to see firstly what it is running and secondly what shape they were in.
View attachment 351837
Not bad shape I thought. A bit of rust on 2 & 4 cylinder plugs, probably from intake leak but overall all 8 plugs were very similar. View attachment 351838pulled n cleaned the plug wires as well,then gave the rest of the engine a look over,cleaned or fixed a couple of things & put it all back togetherView attachment 351839I noticed while putting the wires back in that the distributor was loose! ***** Phuka!! The mechanic who did the work on it fixing the intake leak cant have tightened it after reassembly and setting the timing! How the phuck do you not lock the dizzy down after setting the timing?!!View attachment 351840Almost back together and happy enough. Looks like I'll have to buy a timing light and see how my my ear tuning is. She drove okay around the block but I'll need to take it somewhere I can put the boot up her. Bloody mechanics ayy?
Still,was good to check this stuff out. Plugs came out easy so when I do new ones n wires it'll be an easy job.
Looks nice and clean under there

OP
OP
97YukonNZ

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks nice and clean under there
Thanks
Shes not to bad for an old girl hey! ;)
I like to keep her tidy,did a degrease after last operation and have started treating the plastics with some CRC 808 silicone spray.
Lol you can always find something to do when you start poking around them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
97YukonNZ

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Fella's
Thought I'd i have an update on in recent tinkerings on the Yukon.
Did door pins and new door handles.

Many thanks to @Tonyrfor getting those organised and over here to me in New Zealand.
Much appreciated Brotha!!20211211_125535.jpgDoor pins were a bit of a pita to do without roof support to hang the dior from.
Just as well the wifee was willing to help.
20211211_101049.jpgMy old door handles had been broken on an attempted break in.
Was lucky they still operated!!
20211211_094852.jpgThey were remarkably easy to change!
Probably the easiest job i had done on her yet!

OP
OP
97YukonNZ

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today i am changing a pitman arm that has worn.16577672873976308193456769341001.jpgPretty straight forward job.
Yeah nah!!!16577673938823853664767182639908.jpgIve hit a snag here.
While undoing the powersteer lines so i can take the box out I've found the lines are seized into the locking nuts and now the lines are trying to twist as i undo the nut.

Any ideas on how i can un seize them?
I have sprayed penetrant on them.
Heat? Risk of fire?!

The rest is coming off okay. I'd really hate to split the lines and make more work for myself if I can help it.

Thsnks to you all
Tony

OP
OP
97YukonNZ

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so i just backed myself and the penitrant worked. Only ended out being 1 tight line so thats all goods. 16577743491686641113095880162409.jpgJust putting the new arm on and give the pump a wipe over.

Man these things are heavey!
Lol easy part now!!
Gittin her back together

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Okay so i just backed myself and the penitrant worked. Only ended out being 1 tight line so thats all goods. View attachment 375116Just putting the new arm on and give the pump a wipe over.

Man these things are heavey!
Lol easy part now!!
Gittin her back together
You def lucked out brotha man, could've been a nightmare. Glad you got 'er done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas