1995 Tahoe - "Clicking" Sound For 1st Minute After Start Cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just started happening... When starting cold, I'm getting a loud "CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK..." for about the first minute after starting. Then, it goes away. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes - coming from engine... BTW - 145K miles on the thing....

Cartwright

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably piston slap. My dads old 6.0 did it all the time.

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
I doubt it is piston slap. Sounds more like lifter tapping. Try using a heavier weight oil like a 10W-40 or just add a bottle of Lucas engine treatment to the oil you are using right now. Just make sure you do not overfill because you want to put the whole quart of additive in there. Try that my friend and let us know...

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. I ended up doing a Seafoam, and having a buddy with shop access do a couple of engine flushes. Now I'm good as new.. So, it must have been a sludge clot issue of some sort.

In regards to the oil and Lucas, I am thinking of changing out to the 10W-40 Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic. Is this a good idea or should I stick to non - synthetic? Almost 150K now on the engine.

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
The only reason people say to switch to synthetic on high mileage engines is because the risks of leaks. Not the cause of one, but the ability to magnify one. Synthetic oil has molecules that are smaller than regular dino oil. Since they are smaller, they can flow through smaller spaces and crevices. As long as your engine seal and gaskets are good, there should be not problem with switching over to synthetic.

rucr8z2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see this alot on higher milage chevy engines. Whats happening on colder days the engine oil is draining back into the pan from the filter and oil pump so when you start it cold it is having to reprime itself- use a bottle of lucas oil stabilizer and a premium oil filter like a k&n or atleast a NAPN gold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missymom68

Latest posts