1995 Tahoe 6.5 diesel rear end problems In & out play on the passenger side. When rot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrsavoie

Reaction score
1995 Tahoe 6.5 diesel rear end problems In & out play on the passenger side. When rot
1995 2 door Tahoe 6.5 diesel

There is about 1/8" In & out play on the rear axle on the passenger side.

When rotating the axle about 1/4 turn at a time the axle will lock up. If you back it off it will go back to spinning free.

The pinion seems good, with no play.

I won't have time to take the cover off til next week or until it warms up some.

Any guesses as to what I will be looking at? Best case scenario?

We just recently had the cover off and changed the oil. There were no chips or shiny stuff in the oil we drained. We never noticed any problems with the axle when we put rear brakes on a couple weeks or so ago.

Immediately after that the Tahoe was driven to town and back with the emergency brake on. I don't know that this had anything to do with anything.

Are the rear ends for 2 door Tahoes specific to 2 door Tahoes? Or could the rear end out of a 4 door Tahoe or some other truck or Suburban be used?

What are my options there?

The same with the front differential? Which vehicles could I use a front differential out of?

I was thinking of switching from my 3.73 gears to 3.42 gears. Just swapping complete rear end and front differential.

Does anybody have any good links to working on this rear end?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
in out play normal. is this locking up make everything else move? get your cover off and inspect it. and leave the axle ratio the same. most case front and back diffy's are the same 2 or 4 dr.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

is this actually effecting driving.

OP
OP
J

jrsavoie

Reaction score
in out play normal. is this locking up make everything else move? get your cover off and inspect it. and leave the axle ratio the same. most case front and back diffy's are the same 2 or 4 dr.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

is this actually effecting driving.

I would have to change both differentials if I changed one. I could change one or the other and leave the front drive shaft off til they were both the same.

Neither issue was noticed til we were turning the axle by hand. There was a rumbling from the back when brakes were applied. The drivers side had a cracked shoe and the passenger side parking brake cable was messed up a little.

I'm guessing the problems are related to the vehicle being drive 15 miles with the parking brake on immediately after the rear brakes were installed and adjusted.

When the vehicle returned the parking brake cable was lose, the cables were not returning

OP
OP
J

jrsavoie

Reaction score
brake issue was resolved before the locking up issue presented itself. Didn't even have the drum on for the locking up issue

OP
OP
J

jrsavoie

Reaction score
Any chance a locker has been installed?

It's possible. I was very busy a few years ago and had the rear end replaced with a used unit out of a junk yard.

I wish I would have waited and done the work myself, but I was in a bind for time.

I would have swapped in a rear with 3.42 gears and went ahead and swapped the front differential also.

A ll would have been done cheaper than what this cost me. I had a single rear wheel K3500 here I could have used for parts

OP
OP
J

jrsavoie

Reaction score
Changed the fluid last night. There was quite a bit of very fine steel on the magnet. No big pieces anywhere. So fine, I just about couldn't feel them with my fingers.

How much forward and back slop can there be in the wheels?

What do I have for a rear end?

The rear end did not lock up with the transmission in neutral. or we had to much leverage with the wheels on to tell. It did seem to tighten up while turning

Attachments

• 95 Tahoe rear differential 001.jpg
    95 Tahoe rear differential 001.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 95 Tahoe rear differential 002.jpg
    95 Tahoe rear differential 002.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 7

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you have the factory installed g80 locker. dont abuse it because then can break if abused lightly. and you will not need any additives either. and when you say for and back slop are you talking from front and back of vehicle movement or in and out? just to clarify please.

OP
OP
J

jrsavoie

Reaction score
you have the factory installed g80 locker. dont abuse it because then can break if abused lightly. and you will not need any additives either. and when you say for and back slop are you talking from front and back of vehicle movement or in and out? just to clarify please.

I'm talking about rotating the wheels forward by hand stopping and then going backwards. How much slop can there be, between switching directions?

Thanks for the advice.

What do you recommend for a 3.42 geared rear differential when this one gives it up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CucamongaBoy52