1994 Tahoe lift gate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbnova

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 94 Tahoe and if you press the button to open the tailgate glass, the glass unlocks but when you walk around to the back it’s still latched. I can clearly hear it unlatch, and if a second person helps it’ll open right up.
The lift shocks are in great shape and easily holds the glass up when opened. I’ve lubed the latch assembly thoroughly.
What can I do to give the glass more “pop” to get it open?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you say a second person helps, do you mean that when you unlock it and you hear it unlock, that second person pulls/or lifts the glass a little? When it unlatches, the glass should move away from the latch or the latch should not push it away or the latch stays unlatched. The latch may be lubed but the latch hook itself may not be moving far enough away from the glass striker. Is there any binding in the glass hinges?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a bend in the glass striker bar? its not supposed to be bent and if it is it can actually pull on the glass enough to hold the latch from releasing enough to let the glass pop. learned that one with a wife that likes to shut things hard enough to pop ear drums.

OP
OP
S

sbnova

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks the replies. A second person is needed to just gently lift the glass when the button is pushed in order for it to open. Same when using the key- I can turn the key but I have to keep it turned while I use my other hand to lift the glass before I release the key. It literally feels like there is no “pop” to get the glass/catch off the latch.
I did notice on the passenger side, the switch for the dome light which is sprung, but I didn’t think it’s purpose was to pop the glass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 3

BulletProof

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I have the same issue. Nothing bent, broken or seized... but opening the rear gate without a key is a 2-person job. I have tried numerous fixes and nothing works. Catch releases just fine - but the liftgate doesn't "pop" up off the latch. You find a solution - you let me know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo