1989 Chevy 3500 Dually with 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
If you need to tow something big it works. The GMT 400's had LOUSY brakes.....

I noticed that as well on my 2000 Escalade (1st Gen).

You couldn't keep the rear drum brakes in proper adjustment.

I replaced everything inside the drums a couple different times and they would always back off in about a weeks time. Constantly having to back up and hit the brakes to allow the self adjusters to do their thing.

I did however improve the brakes by upgrading to the bigger PPV calipers up front and using the bigger wheel cylinders from a 1 ton truck.

But the biggest improvement was from upgrading to the bigger master cylinder from the newer trucks... had to use an adapter to convert one of the hard lines over to the right size for the master.

Prior to that the brake pedal always felt kind of soft... much better pedal feel after the upgraded master cylinder. Just could never seem to keep the rear brakes adjusted.

If I had kept that truck I was planning to swap over to disc brakes on the rear.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like these older trucks a lot and was close to buying a 1993 Regular cab dually 4x4 with 454 and 5 speed before I bought my Tahoe. However I drove it was was greatly disappointed how slow it felt. Did some research and its kinda depressing that the 454 for 87-90 was only rated at 255 hp and 405 lb⋅ft at best. A GMT-900 6.2 has nearly double the HP at 403 HP and a hair more torque at 417 ft-lbs. Of course that doesn't tell all the story as the 454 likely makes more torque at a low rpm which is better for towing. However the 6/8speed behind the 6.2s would more than make up for that with the exceptionally low first gear. Any how I ended up with neither a 454 or a 6.2 but a hopped up 6.0 that by best guess makes around 450/450 on an engine dyno and acts much like how I hoped the 454 would have.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan: the 6.2 actually has a lot of torque at 2500 rpm....the LS cylinder heads are why. They swirl and tumble the air fuel mixture while flowing really well.

Oh yeah I totally agree! They make a ton of torque throughout the rpm range but the 454 displacement still likely makes more off idle at say 1200 rpm where you would be when leaving a stop while towing. Although I haven't found any specific dyno sheets to prove that. I'd really like to have an old dually like this with a 454LSX :boti:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645