18 or 22 " Magnaflow muffler for drone free cruising?

Drone Free at cruising/light load?

• Impossible keep stock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 18 with resonator and flapper

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 22" with resonator and flapper: the only way to get drone free cruising

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1sikryd

Reaction score
Doesn't the RST already come with the GM performance exhaust?
Like Mad Max said, Nope. Really, all you get with the RST package is color matched body pieces, black badging, RST wheels, and a high cap air filter. But, the 6.2l engine gets 3.5" exhaust. The GM performance/Borla is 3" into dual 2.5".

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if a magnaflow cat back would have changed things on my truck but the Borla touring exhaust sounds incredible! Its just too F'n loud when paired with kooks stepped headers and the high-flow Y pipe.

Not to derail this thread but if anyone in the NJ/NY area is removing their factory suburban exhaust, I'd like to come get it.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. AWD Escalade. Highly doubt the PO did anything to it so it should be a factory piece.

What did you end up doing OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am ordering the 22" right now and a nice tip to go with it.
I will have the shop leave the flapper but remove the resonator.
After 1000 miles of the muffler breaking in I will either:
-keep it like that
-put the resonator back on
-put all stock exhaust back on

as long as it doesn't drone I'll be happy, I dont need loud, I just want to slightly hear it when I start it and when I get on it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am ordering the 22" right now and a nice tip to go with it.
I will have the shop leave the flapper but remove the resonator.
After 1000 miles of the muffler breaking in I will either:
-keep it like that
-put the resonator back on
-put all stock exhaust back on

as long as it doesn't drone I'll be happy, I dont need loud, I just want to slightly hear it when I start it and when I get on it.

I think you'll be happy. More accurately, I think you'll be a little disappointed when you first hear it cuz it'll be almost identical to stock, but happy after the break-in. You'll be mashing it when passing under overpasses, next to walls, people to your right with their windows down...

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be happy. More accurately, I think you'll be a little disappointed when you first hear it cuz it'll be almost identical to stock, but happy after the break-in. You'll be mashing it when passing under overpasses, next to walls, people to your right with their windows down...

I am still wondering about leaving or removing the flapper.
The resonator is coming out

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still wondering about leaving or removing the flapper.
The resonator is coming out

I think most just bolt the flapper open, usually cuz it starts rattling. Apparently, it's a simple and reversible mod using a bolt and/or hose clamps.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most just bolt the flapper open, usually cuz it starts rattling. Apparently, it's a simple and reversible mod using a bolt and/or hose clamps.

I will have them remove both the flapper and resonator.
Worse case after the muffler breaks in, if not satisfied I can weld one or 2 back!
Now exhaust tip... Trying to think of something cool

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now exhaust tip... Trying to think of something cool

Purely subjective. My best advice is to consider what's just behind the tip and to view it from all angles before making it permanent. I made my resonator delete with a tip from a G8 GT. I like it, but I can see the pipe behind it and the tip looks odd from certain angles. Also, I've decided that I want a little larger diameter. I'll change it up soon, probably go straight out the back. Definitely will be a dual exit tip, though.