'18 Denali Custom Grill Fabricators?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a second car and can live without driving you Denali for a couple weeks, maybe check with a local tech at the dealer or if you are capable to remove yourself...I pulled my bumper off and took out the grill and the whole center section of the grill unscrews leaving just the chrome surround that you can remove, as well the fog light surrounds, the Fog light surrounds can stay together with the black plastic and you can box it up and ship it to me and I can have my body shop color match the parts to the factory paint, just get me your Vin and I will get it done for you and sent back. Probably would be a 2 week down time, but when I did mine it was about $450.00 bucks, and then I just put everything back together myself. Be sure when removing the bumper, you line the area under the headlights with masking tape, and also the sides where the fender and bumper meet at the top, and be sure to lay down a large thick blanket to work on removing the parts.
Just an idea if you want. For some reason so many body shops are afraid to paint factory Chrome, probably because there is really little money in it for a good amount of work, the chrome needs to be sanded and scuffed and then primed really good in order for the paint to stick really good, also there is a special primer used in the process for plastic parts. I have no issues with paint flaking, and the color match is 100%. The other option is to check with a few more body shops in your area to see if they will do it? Out here in Cali it is pretty saturated, but only a few paint shops are willing to do this stuff, it is limited mainly due to the fact it is not a big money maker for a good amount of paint work and prep.
Anyway, you would be amazed at how different these parts painted make the truck look. Again, just a suggestion to help you if you want.

Jim
Shops won’t sand and paint chrome because no matter how much prep is done, it WILL chip when rocks hit it and then it’s noticeable because it’s silver spots when it does. They don’t want to deal with people coming back and wanting it repainted. Nobody will warrant paint over chrome. I have a friend who owns a body shop and he sanded the hell out of my grill, used a special etching primer and painted and cleared it. After 2 years it’s chipping just like he said. No warranty even for his friends lol.

OP
OP
M

MaizeNBlue98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rocket Man - Totally get it. Especially in my area where people love to complain regardless of what was promised (or not).

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shops won’t sand and paint chrome because no matter how much prep is done, it WILL chip when rocks hit it and then it’s noticeable because it’s silver spots when it does. They don’t want to deal with people coming back and wanting it repainted. Nobody will warrant paint over chrome. I have a friend who owns a body shop and he sanded the hell out of my grill, used a special etching primer and painted and cleared it. After 2 years it’s chipping just like he said. No warranty even for his friends lol.

I get it, but there are so many ways now days to avoid the paint chip issue by applying a clear bra after the paint, and honestly at the same time the cost expense up front was not really a bank breaker, if in a few years it is heavily chipped then I can easily afford to have shot again, but I know what you're saying...body shops hate comebacks and unless you bring them the parts off the car already, it is really not a money maker, but I have been painting chrome trim parts for years whether on GM cars or Mercedes and I have rarely had any issues.
If it is prepped right and the correct primer is used, the finished painted part will hold up for quite some time. I think also doing a clear bra over the parts will greatly help the longevity.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it, but there are so many ways now days to avoid the paint chip issue by applying a clear bra after the paint, and honestly at the same time the cost expense up front was not really a bank breaker, if in a few years it is heavily chipped then I can easily afford to have shot again, but I know what you're saying...body shops hate comebacks and unless you bring them the parts off the car already, it is really not a money maker, but I have been painting chrome trim parts for years whether on GM cars or Mercedes and I have rarely had any issues.
If it is prepped right and the correct primer is used, the finished painted part will hold up for quite some time. I think also doing a clear bra over the parts will greatly help the longevity.
For something like a grill, which I had done, a clear bra isn’t possible. Mine was done as good as possible by a friend who owns a body shop, and after 2 years it’s chipping. It can’t be avoided at times, depending on the part and location. So I guess 2-3 years could be considered quite some time but the chipping has to be considered. Chrome just doesn’t like to be painted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia