16 Denali vs 16 Escalade ride difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdfein

Reaction score
Got my wife's 16 ESV Plat about 4 months ago and our experience is that it rides very smooth.

I just traded my 2012 Yukon for a new 16 Yukon Denali swb. While the new Yukon is not a bad ride, it is noticibly more bouncy and truck like than the Escalade.

Both have 22" and mag ride I believe. The only differences I'm aware of are the swb vs lwb and possibly additional sound dampening mass on the Escalade.

I'm curious what other differences that I should be thinking about could be attributable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my wife's 16 ESV Plat about 4 months ago and our experience is that it rides very smooth.

I just traded my 2012 Yukon for a new 16 Yukon Denali swb. While the new Yukon is not a bad ride, it is noticibly more bouncy and truck like than the Escalade.

Both have 22" and mag ride I believe. The only differences I'm aware of are the swb vs lwb and possibly additional sound dampening mass on the Escalade.

I'm curious what other differences that I should be thinking about could be attributable.

Gotta be the extra mass from the lwb. I've never heard the the escalade gets extra sound dampening over the Denali but I suppose it's possible. Would need to be a lot extra to make a ride difference...

Sent from my DynaTac8000 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

gdfein

Reaction score
Suppose I don't litterally mean sound dampening specifically. I just meant the extra mass, from more leather everywhere...all the trimmings of the caddy platinum vs Denali and extra mass of the lwb (body/frame/etc).

My ESV just rides more cloud-like than the swb Denali does. I Just didn't expect to notice the marked difference.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The long wheel base definitely has a more noticeable ride quality over the standard wheel base. I have driven many of the gm full sizes as many of my clients have them across every generation and every make from Tahoe and suburban all the way to the caddy and in both wheel bases. Across every generation I notice that the standard wheel base is more squirrly over bumps and a little more back end loose around the corners. Where as every long wheel nasi have ridden in and driven, is more solid and steady. Besides being able to utilize the extra space in the back for all my detailing gear, the better ride quality of the xl and less truck like ride was what pushed me in the direction of buying my xl Denali instead of the standard wheel base.

OP
OP
G

gdfein

Reaction score
Valid points. I commute 40mi each way for work and avg 20k mi per year so the extra few mpg of the swb and not needing the space given the wife having the lwb for family outings was my thought process. All in all I like them both.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah if you don't need the long wheel base it's not a big deal. So I live with my youth pastor and his whole family. Between him and his siblings and their spouses there's 5 GM full sizes. All NBS. At one point one of them was a 2005 standard wheel base Denali. I bought 2006 and we compared and my xl was getting better gas mileage then hers :D it was aweosme!

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suppose I don't litterally mean sound dampening specifically. I just meant the extra mass, from more leather everywhere...all the trimmings of the caddy platinum vs Denali and extra mass of the lwb (body/frame/etc).

My ESV just rides more cloud-like than the swb Denali does. I Just didn't expect to notice the marked difference.

Gotta be the wheelbase. Can't imagine there is really anything 'extra' on the escalade that would weigh more than 10 pounds total.

Well...it does have light sabers as brake lights and those things do weigh quite a bit! [emoji1]

Sent from my DynaTac8000 using Tapatalk

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I commute 40mi each way for work and avg 20k mi per year so the extra few mpg of the swb and not needing the space given the wife having the lwb for family outings was my thought process.
There's not any MPG differences in wheelbases.

OP
OP
G

gdfein

Reaction score
I had a 2012 swb Denali and a 2012 lwb Denali with identical options, and driven similarly, and the lwb consistently got 2-3mpg less than the swb. I'm no scientist, but more weight/mass, with identical HP, and driven similarly, means more energy is needed to move the larger truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agent WD-40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven a few different current generation SUVs (2015+) and I noticed the same thing. The LWB version does ride better than the SWB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
payneml