10 ply tires on a 1/2 Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay away from C load range tires. They are not meant to carry the weight of our full size SUVs. Do the research on the LT C's and compare the load carrying capacity to E's. every brand/style of tire is different.

Well, my homework showed that C tires were obviously better than passenger car tires and closer in weight to a passenger car tire. With 10-Ply tires my truck would barely move when put in gear and slowed very quickly when letting off the pedal. Now it moves out smartly and actually coasts; the rolling resistance is so much less with these 46lb tires compared with the 50lb tires that came on it. The BFG KO2 6-Ply sidewalls are the same as the 10-Ply version and each pair of tires supports over 5,000lbs on each axle. It also picked up a few mpgs as well.

OP
OP
B

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my homework showed that C tires were obviously better than passenger car tires and closer in weight to a passenger car tire. With 10-Ply tires my truck would barely move when put in gear and slowed very quickly when letting off the pedal. Now it moves out smartly and actually coasts; the rolling resistance is so much less with these 46lb tires compared with the 50lb tires that came on it. The BFG KO2 6-Ply sidewalls are the same as the 10-Ply version and each pair of tires supports over 5,000lbs on each axle. It also picked up a few mpgs as well.

How is the noise on those tires and what's the size? I'm looking to upsize to 285/75r17

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
That's good to hear. That's why it's important to do the research. I'm sure not all C tires are as strong as yours.:beer:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck came with BFG Rugged Trail and the KO2s are much quieter than those. When my wheel bearing isn't making a racket (during left turns), there's little road noise, not objectionable to me anyway.

The kids pointed out a screw in the tread the other day. Pulled out a sheet metal screw when we got home, went in about 1/4 below tread depth, no leak.

Ohh, as for size, stock. 265-70-17, didn't want to mess with the mileage or speedometer.

Last edited:

rzabel

Reaction score
I mostly tow with my Yukon XL 2500 with LT285/75/16s. When I'm towing I run the front tires at 55psi and the rear at 75psi, just like it says on the door jamb. Max load is at 80 psi as it says on the tires. It makes for a pretty harsh ride without the load, so I bring them down to 40 psi for running around in the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK