10 ply tire houl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the deal I'm pretty much maxing out towing when I do haul so I need to learn to live with LT E's 3092 lbs per tire . It's for durability. Tires now a days are pretty thin .
I had set of AT3 on my Tahoe keep eye open for face cracking between rims with age they do ride nice and handle nice I will admit that.[emoji108][emoji106]

Here's picture of the talkers .. I did have some good years came on the Yukon XL that didn't houl before. 235 85 16 there like awesome snow tires . ( Function over fashion )
It's really weird is the 16-in tires seem to make the traction control and abs work better.. I have no idea why.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
fb242192f608a922c79fecfb40662395.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not ripping on them just showing you mine. So you stay safe.only 8 years cooper what's up ??[emoji106][emoji108]f42e635ba30308dbdba1fef6ff870784.jpg388605eec1f606ca0944b97751b0cf91.jpg7938eb8660acbe668c60da87ba88b5f4.jpg69c0ba51961a365ffb5a22ba63594a8a.jpg

rzabel

Reaction score
I had some pretty aggresive traction tires (LT, E Rated) for a couple years. They got progressively louder as they aged. Despite frequent rotations, meticulous attention to inflation, and several alignments, they developed a strange wear pattern on the lugs and the howl got so bad I replaced them. The new Michelin Defenders LTX MS are a dream! If I had known the ride and quiet would be so much better I would have replaced them a long time ago.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howling is usually an alignment issue- generally too much toe in. Look at the sidewall of tire, inflate to max pressure shown as a starting point. On a 10 ply you can drop 10# or maybe more if tire crown excessive. I run Cooper AT3 and love em. About 50-60000 per set at 60#.

A stock size, 265-70-17 LT tire no matter the Load Range or brand, has the same load capacity at a given psi. My particular truck has a Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating of 4200 pounds. An LT tire in that stock size needs 42 psi to just exceed half that rating. BFG originally recommended 50 psi but later revised their recommendation to 42 psi.

This same tire size on a 2500, they recommend 50 psi up front and 60 psi for the rear to exceed the axle capacities and provide a nice ride and good wear.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires never last long under the Florida sun!
I'm in Minnesota we only get like 3 months of hot sun a year ...[emoji15][emoji849]

I have 2 sets of tires . 10 ply for winter and towing 235 85 16. Goodyear tires 265 70 17s
For summer . Minnesota snow ice is pretty nasty in the coldest state in the union . Ya down right evil ice everywhere and does not thaw till April or may .....good winter tires are king . Frost 8 ft in ground 2014 .. ya things get crazy .. I really don't know how the Alaska guys deal with it or canadians there tuff .. [emoji106]

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics, I'll keep an eye out on the tread cracking. Wish I could go 8 years on a set!
Many years ago at the racetrack, speaking with the engineers about tire pressure, they recommended going to sidewall max to prevent bead from unseating and sidewall damage while cornering. All of them laughed at "factory recommendations" . As they explained it, was more to do with perceived 'ride quality' than any actual benefit.They contended if you needed better ride quality, re-engineer the system, don't let air out of tires. That was where I learned to run the biggest tire that would fit, The big baloon helped ride quality.

Swathdiver- Not sure if I can agree with your statement about Tire Size and load rating. Just the difference in "D" vs "E" rated tires Is substantial. You may be correct as written. However many sizes do not cross range designations. I do know its a huge difference in trailer tires. Maybe its another New Descriptions to muddy the water things. I have a truck, I run truck tires. I just try to keep it simple for me. I re-read your post, a few times, and think I get your point now- based on pressure. Could a "D" tire run 65#?
I have learned a great deal from your posts, and value your comments.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...speaking with the engineers about tire pressure, they recommended going to sidewall max to prevent bead from unseating and sidewall damage while cornering.

Swathdiver- Not sure if I can agree with your statement about Tire Size and load rating. Just the difference in "D" vs "E" rated tires Is substantial. You may be correct as written. However many sizes do not cross range designations. I do know its a huge difference in trailer tires. Maybe its another New Descriptions to muddy the water things. I have a truck, I run truck tires. I just try to keep it simple for me. I re-read your post, a few times, and think I get your point now- based on pressure. Could a "D" tire run 65#?
I have learned a great deal from your posts, and value your comments.

The maximum air pressure for a "D" is 65 psi. If you need 70 psi to exceed the axle's load capacity, then a "D" is not for you.

Heading towards 4 years with the KO2s, one thing I learned is that they do not hold pressure long at near their maximum inflation pressure of 50 psi ("C"). They keep longer if the pressure is set to 46 psi or less. 48 to 50 they have to be reset in a week or two.

C, D, E and F have the same load rating at a given psi. For example, at 35 psi, they all have a load rating of about 1890 pounds per tire when the tire size 265-70-17 is used.

OP
OP
Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The maximum air pressure for a "D" is 65 psi. If you need 70 psi to exceed the axle's load capacity, then a "D" is not for you.

Heading towards 4 years with the KO2s, one thing I learned is that they do not hold pressure long at near their maximum inflation pressure of 50 psi ("C"). They keep longer if the pressure is set to 46 psi or less. 48 to 50 they have to be reset in a week or two.

C, D, E and F have the same load rating at a given psi. For example, at 35 psi, they all have a load rating of about 1890 pounds per tire when the tire size 265-70-17 is used.
I have set of hankook motorhome tires the company sent me a chart that tells me for there F 19 7.50 16 G's exactly what psi for the giving load that was so awesome and rides perfect it's all set to the weight .. 12,800 lb rig . 65 psi ..tires capable of crazy weights. Yes I'm towing with that also .

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fellas! ... I have never seen a manufacturors pressure/load chart. Learn alot here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts