09 suburban road trip from Germany to Kazakhstan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fabybaby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys ! I am planing a extensive road trip with my 09 suburban, going from Germany through Russia and eventually all the way to Kazakhstan and back, I was hoping you could give me some tips on how to prepare my truck for this adventure in terms of preventative maintenance etc.
It has currently 106k miles on it, this road trip would add about another 6-8k miles through rough terrain

im planing on taking as many spare parts as needed, as parts availability will be more than limited on this trip.
I’ve already got myself a hitch rack that’s going to carry 4 jerry cans of 20 liters and 2 spare wheels.

any tips ?

Attachments

• D3062392-359E-4F49-8514-FDEFC01FFEF5.jpeg
    D3062392-359E-4F49-8514-FDEFC01FFEF5.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 11

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front CV axle would be a good idea as well as enough oil to do a change, same with some water/coolant. Maybe some random sized fuel line and wire as well as stuff to splice with just incase.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have probably been better times for exploring Russia. What were you planning route wise?

Reaction score
You'll be pushing the range for an oil change even if you get one right before you leave and right when you get back. So plan on either taking the stuff to do one or find a place somewhere to get one done while on the trip.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tools and Spare Parts, Shop Manuals, Scanner, tow straps. Long way between civilizations, or tow trucks.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extra radiator hoses, and water pump, And Heater Core hose plugs. Blow a tire, and it might take out the rear heater lines. The plugs allow you to plug that line at the firewall, and continue. It also allows you to plug the whole system off is the heater core pops.

Extra CV shaft, and U-Joints.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys ! I am planing a extensive road trip with my 09 suburban, going from Germany through Russia and eventually all the way to Kazakhstan and back, I was hoping you could give me some tips on how to prepare my truck for this adventure in terms of preventative maintenance etc.
It has currently 106k miles on it, this road trip would add about another 6-8k miles through rough terrain

im planing on taking as many spare parts as needed, as parts availability will be more than limited on this trip.
I’ve already got myself a hitch rack that’s going to carry 4 jerry cans of 20 liters and 2 spare wheels.

any tips ?
disable AFM (if equipped ) using a obd2 chip to increase reliability otherwise on road it's fine

OIL change is required before the trip...

inspect for leaks before hand and check oil/fluids , every 1,000 miles bring extra oil.. 8qt minimum. (many rigs seem to burn, half to 1qt every 1k miles) check and make sure both cooling fans are working..

Remember your HEATER is a cooling fan i.e if thermostat stat fails stuck closed

also an extra air filter (change it before hand as well)

high quality Duct tape will help get out of a bad situation..

extra light bulbs head lamp bulbs and other bulbs

take water and food as well enough for at lest 5-7 days

Spare belt make sure it's the correct one...

spare 12 volt battery nothing worse then trying to start it with a dead battery or jumper that can self jump the suv
Spare Alternator (optional...) check return policy before buying

Last edited: