08 hybrid not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robmck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 08 Tahoe Hybrid which in the last week has developed a strange habit.
When I first get in the truck it starts fine, drive for a few miles stop, do some business get in and drive some more. At the third time of asking the truck won't start. There is no power to the starter motor at all. All the other electrics work but it doesn't even turn over.
I see that the interior lights are still on.
The lights go out, and hey presto the truck starts, but the check engine light is illuminated on the dash!
The truck appears to be running fine despite this reluctance to start.
I decided to experiment and the remote start works, which led me to the theory it had something to do with the interior lights.
I then switched OFF the dome lights, and tried starting it. Hey presto the truck started normally and the check engine light didn't come on.
Any thoughts on what could be the problem? I'm a bit bemused by the whole thing its just very odd.

Rob Mck

07warwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may have a short in your lights somewhere in the system

rdstrattan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check condition, or bettter yet replace your 12 volt accessory battery. If it is 5 years old, its time for it to fail and it will cause strange problems that the fancy on-board diagnostic codes won't figure out and tell you about.

Recently my '08 Tahoe Hybrid wouldn't start one morning. Just threw up error messages - Stablizer, Hybrid, ABS, etc. Finially after many tries with different messages every time I noticed the navigation screen fading and the solution hit me. I had one of the very early Prius and the same thing happened at about 5 years age. The 12 volt accessory battery was going bad.

Replaced the accessory battery and all is well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401