08 Denali body molding tape?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried searching and found a bunch of different responses.

What double sided 3M tape should I get to re-attach the stock molding on the doors of my 08 Denali?

I do not want to remove it, I like the look and it keeps the door dings at bay. Debadged my Silverado and I door dings to all hell.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Any of the 3M VHB (Very High Bond) in whatever thickness, usually 1/2" for those moldings. Look on Amazon for 3M 06384

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Adhesion promoter on the moldings before you tape. And make sure you clean all the old tape off the moldings with a razor blade.

SethSwitch

Reaction score
3m eraser wheel is also very good at removing previous adhesive and will not damage paint

sennister

Reaction score
I used this when I did mine a while back.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03614-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B002JOVUO0/

As others said. Make sure to clean off the old tape first which is a long process. I also placed blue painter's tape on the door before removing them to mark the location. I could then position them right back where they came off making sure they were level and such. I think I used my heat gun a bit to soften the old tape and a razor blade on the trim side. For the truck side I used some Goo Gone and cleaned that up residue up with soap and water followed by alcohol.

OP
OP
Denali2k8

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3M wheel and goo gone was the plan for the off part. Wasn't sure on the tape. Passenger side rear door and drivers side front door are coming loose. I'll prob get enough tape to do all the doors when the other 2 let loose.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Cleaning the old tape off is key. And get some adhesion promoter. Make sure theres no wax or dirt on the area where the tape is going.

sennister

Reaction score
Once you do one, the other three are pretty quick. I always have a few rolls of that tape because I use it for other things so I just did all 4 of mine. The biggest time saver was masking around them on the door before starting so I could quickly slap them back up there and move on to the next one. This way they were level and positioned right on the door so they didn't over hang.

If you find it hard to get them off, try heating around the edge with a heat gun or hair dryer. Then use fishing line in a sawing motion. There is just a thin 1/2" strip of tape all around the edge of the trim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper