04 Tahoe starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bproc2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the site and I typically don't post issue questions but I've been googling around and I can narrow down the issue to a few things, but people with similar vehicles and possibly similar issues can probably pinpoint the problem even better. It's an 04 Tahoe Z71 with about 128k on it. Had it for a year, zero issues.

Started up perfectly fine today, went to gas station. After getting gas, go to start the truck and all power comes on fine as usual, but just won't start. Now, this has happened once recently. I took key out of ignition, opened door (to make radio etc shut off), then closed door and tried to start again, and it did.

Now, it's my own fault for not getting it checked asap last time it did this. I don't think it's an alternator as I haven't had signs of it going bad. Could it be starter? I attempted to start it in neutral to see if it was a safety ignition switch or something, no luck. Corroded battery terminals? Could that cause it...

I'm far from a mechanic, so if I sound like a goof, don't mind me. However, definitely glad to post here and see some of everyone's awesome vehicles.

Thanks a bunch for any responses.

Bernie

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your describing very similar symptoms that i had when my fuel pump was failing
next time it doesnt start just turn the key to off and then try to start it again
mine started at random not start on the first turn but then almost every other time i started it it wouldnt start the the first turn till i replaced the fuel pump
first replace the fuel filter thats much cheaper thest 2000 to 2006 tahoes and yukons seem to be notorious for the fuel pumps failing after 100k miles

Jons2005tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That sounds like your starter. Next time it does it hold the key in the start position and have someone tap the starter with a hammer, if it starts that's your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bproc2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That sounds like your starter. Next time it does it hold the key in the start position and have someone tap the starter with a hammer, if it starts that's your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. Just purchased a new starter. We noticed lights dimming when we turned ignition. Checked other possible reasons as well. It's getting a full check up anyway from a family friend to make sure there's nothing else possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65