04 suburban headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shatcher0428

Reaction score
Hey I have a 2004 suburban z71 4x4, and I am looking to upgrade the exhaust and add long tube headers. Does anyone have an suggestions on a set of headers? I have been looking at the pacesetters 70-2265, not looking to break the bank. Has anyone used these? Also, any trouble on the install? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hey I have a 2004 suburban z71 4x4, and I am looking to upgrade the exhaust and add long tube headers. Does anyone have an suggestions on a set of headers? I have been looking at the pacesetters 70-2265, not looking to break the bank. Has anyone used these? Also, any trouble on the install? Thanks!!

CFM engineering has a nice longtube setup and priced pretty decent, ordering my set in 2 weeks

BossGunner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any update on this? I'm looking to install my pace setters LT I got for a steal (about $150 from a buddy who sold his rig but found the new in box headers). How'd it work out? Did you have to delete the cats?

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update on this? I'm looking to install my pace setters LT I got for a steal (about $150 from a buddy who sold his rig but found the new in box headers). How'd it work out? Did you have to delete the cats?
Unless you get a Y-pipe with cats or have one made with cats in it, you can't reuse the stock Y pipe, so the cats will have to go.

J Mac

Reaction score
You're gonna basically have to get new exhaust custom made if putting long tubes in. I had LT's on my previous 04 Yukon and ordered some generic cats from eBay. Then just let the exhaust shop work their magic. They reused as much of the factory exhaust pipe as possible. Depending on your state, after market cats may not pass state safety inspection.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the eBay stainless set on my '07, I've been very happy with them. I got the set that came with an "off road" y-pipe and a set of the cheapie eBay catalytic converters. I haven't had any problems with exhaust leaks, and actually I like these headers a lot. They have nice thick flanges that I wouldn't expect to warp over time even as bad as a lot of name brand headers I've seen. Roughly 3/8" thick.

Here is the set I have is these:

And with that I used two of these:

Looks like they make a set now that already have the converters in the y-pipe. Pretty good price if you don't have the ability to weld the converters in yourself, and if you don't want to visit an exhaust shop.

I also did an eBay catback at the same time. I had to change the flange to the one that came with the headers/y-pipe, your mileage may vary with that. It looks like the set that already has converters does not include the section to weld into the catback if they don't match up. Here is a Tahoe catback similar to what I used on my Silverado.

I've been very happy with this setup. Personally I'd take the eBay stainless stuff over a lower end name brand that's not stainless. I've had several set of eBay stainless headers and had very good luck out of them. The biggest enemy of headers is rust, and the stainless will make them last a LOT longer, especially if you're going to wrap them. You'll generally get 2-5 years out of a set of plain headers, and roughly indefinite out of a set of stainless.

Now, the tip about emissions from J Mac is a good one. This varies greatly state by state. If you have emissions testing, you may want to have your factory catalytic converters welded into the cat-less y-pipe. All modern catalytic converters are "high flow" since the 90s, so you will not see a performance drop from re-using the factory converters. If you do not reuse the factory converters, make sure you keep them. They are worth $150-300 for the set depending on the number on them, and the condition of the core material, last time I checked. Lots of folks will offer you less, but if you look around you can find a scrapper who will pay what they're worth. Again though, not a bad idea to just reuse them so long as the core material is still in good shape.