03 Yukon SLT / Suggestions on performance please!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryguy1822

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello - I just picked up a 2012 Keystone Passport Ultra light Travel Trailer. It's rated at about 4,800 lbs empty. I grabbed this one because it's light and the Yukon stats showed it could pull it without any issues. Yukon showed around 7,800 lbs towing capability.....give or take a few. Well, my 2003 Yukon SLT is a flipping turd. It struggled on a 2 hour trip mostly flat roads in IL. When there was any sort of incline it just plain out SUCKED!!! One thing to note is I did have my 22's on it...And I run 20's in the winter. Truck is lowered so 20 is the smallest size i will go. I know that impacts the towing, but the engine just seemed to be working A LOT harder. And it appears I burned oil because after several years of owning this Yukon, and keeping up with maintenance, I got the check oil light for the first time after my trip. I have brand new plugs and plan on swapping all fluids shortly....

Question: Do I drop $ into this thing for performance upgrades in order to pull this trailer or do i get rid of it? I really love this yukon, but need something powerful enough to tow my trailer and SAFE for my family.

Suggestions on types of programmers or upgrades I should do to get more pulling power. I'm not looking for speed....All I have on it is a Spectra Intake.

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

I should add that I am not looking to drop $6K into this Yukon...nothing like a supercharger or anything like that. It's a 2003 with 114k miles.

Diesels are sounding good right about now. lol

big_b_in_PA

Billy Badass
Reaction score
Gears are going to be your biggest noticeable upgrade. Other than that programming, cai, exhaust, if you haven't done that already.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Gears
2. Intake & Exhaust.
3. BB Tune.

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.10 - 4.30 gears.
Get the CEL off too.

screamin86

Reaction score
Idk about you but my 03 Yukon xl pulls great and does well on trips. I've got full bolt ons and tune and factory 3.73's a friend of mine has a 02 Yukon slt fully loaded stock with intake and he pulled his open car trailer with my Yukon xl on it when I blew up the gov loc and it pulled with no problem! Worst case swap in a 6.0.

OP
OP
B

Bryguy1822

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all. I have a Spectra Intake and am going to toss on a Gibson Swept Side and add the BB Tune after that. Looking at a trans cooler as well.

@ Big O - 60-65 mph tops. Was up the slight inclines that were making my 5.3L work overtime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavychevyvito