03 tahoe transfercase problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbsavage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i have a 2003 z71 tahoe. I knew the 4wd was messed up when I bought it in was told it was a actuator so i wasent to worried about it. But I was under there today looking for a exhaust leak and noticed there is a part missing from the tcase I dont know what goes there. It's on the bottom passenger side of the tcase can any one tell me what goes here so I can at least get it put back. Thanks in advance guys 20210522_103522.jpg 20210522_103553.jpg

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. According to my diagram that is the Clutch Lever Pivot Pin that is missing. From what I gather you are going to want to do a full transfer case flush, then inspect all seals etc. Many people recommend a full transfer case rebuild after something like this happening.

It looks like fluid everywhere. Is that oil? You may have other issues as well.

OP
OP
Jbsavage

Jbsavage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow. According to my diagram that is the Clutch Lever Pivot Pin that is missing. From what I gather you are going to want to do a full transfer case flush, then inspect all seals etc. Many people recommend a full transfer case rebuild after something like this happening.

It looks like fluid everywhere. Is that oil? You may have other issues as well.
No it's mostly fluid, it does have a oil leak but it's not that bad. I'm gonna be replaceing the transmission and transfer case here in the next couple months just was hopeing to get it sealed up and some new fluid in it to get it buy till I can replace it. Now that I have a idea as to what goes there i know what to look for now

OP
OP
Jbsavage

Jbsavage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so from I was reading on google this does happen more often then I knew. Apparently the clutch lever gets play in it causing the pins to come lose and fall out if it's not caught in time. Once that happens the fluid will leak out and fry the transfercase. So I'm going to say it's safe to say the tcase is toast and I'm going to be spending 2200 dollars to have it replaced..

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so from I was reading on google this does happen more often then I knew. Apparently the clutch lever gets play in it causing the pins to come lose and fall out if it's not caught in time. Once that happens the fluid will leak out and fry the transfercase. So I'm going to say it's safe to say the tcase is toast and I'm going to be spending 2200 dollars to have it replaced..

Ouch. It really depends on how long that pin was missing and how much case fluid is gone, but yeah best bet is a remanufactured one. If you do it yourself it could be cheaper, but a pain in the ass. SPPrecision starts at 795.00

OP
OP
Jbsavage

Jbsavage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ouch. It really depends on how long that pin was missing and how much case fluid is gone, but yeah best bet is a remanufactured one. If you do it yourself it could be cheaper, but a pain in the ass. SPPrecision starts at 795.00
Thank you for that link I'll be ordering one sooner then I thought the upullit yard here where I'm at wants 800 for one with 200k miles on it

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can shop around by searching for your specific transfer case NP246 remanufactured or rebuilt and see what else comes up. I found SPP by looking for a different transfer case, but their prices seemed reasonable. RockAuto has your case with a core charge.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you for that link I'll be ordering one sooner then I thought the upullit yard here where I'm at wants 800 for one with 200k miles on it

When you talk to them ask if the upgrades include the part to eliminate the pump rub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts