03 Tahoe extended start after many issues fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 Tahoe with 162,800 miles. I had the fuel filter, pump, and fuel pressure regulator replaced last year. I replaced the battery last week along with the alternator that went bad after only a year(it is under full warranty so I got a new (rebuilt) one). Yesterday after I replaced the alternator it started right up, but today I went to start it and it did the same extended start thing. I turn the key and let go and it cranks and cranks and cranks then starts right up. I had new alternator tested and it was all good. The battery is an optima red top by the way. I'm guessing it could be the starter since its really the only thing left I can think of, but I read somewhere a bad starter wouldn't cause an extended start issue. Any help would be appreciated!

erikrichard

Reaction score
If the engine turns with normal speed its not the starter, battery or alternator. In my experience fuel pumps operate normally until they all of a sudden completely die and fail to start the vehicle. I've replaced about 5 of them on various vehicles over the years and every time was the same story. When was the last time you replaced spark plugs and wires? With a problem like this you don't just want to throw parts at it - if a tuneup didn't help I would pay for a diagnosis.

OP
OP
T

tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of the above mentioned parts that have been replaced were to fix this extended start issue, they needed to be replaced independently of that issue. My point was after all of these fixes over the last year I would think the extended start issue would have been fixed. My last tune up was around 100,000 miles. I know there are some guys who have similar problems, so I was wondering what you all did to fix it. Overall it's not that big of a deal I just want to know what the deal is

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like your fuel pump is going bad again.the pumps in these trucks are junk for the most part but the general opinion seems to favor the ac delco ones as oppsed to the ones from the discount auto parts stores. i am on my 3rd one at 126000 miles all replaced at the dealer under warranty and my problems started exactly as you describe

OP
OP
T

tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe mine was an ac delco, the dealership was the one who replaced it. Funny thing is after they replaced it, I'm pretty sure it continued to do the extended start thing. Sometimes it starts right up and other times it will do the extended start thing

Samnoeun

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe mine was an ac delco, the dealership was the one who replaced it. Funny thing is after they replaced it, I'm pretty sure it continued to do the extended start thing. Sometimes it starts right up and other times it will do the extended start thing

I know its a few months old, but did you ever find a solution/.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mspranger9